Will an Americauna roo bred to any hen create an Easter egger essentially?

I think people who have been exposed to the breed's name for a while might forget how awkward it is.
America is a word you learn early, and repeat a lot. The pronunciation sounds more like "meri" than "mer".
Most mish-mash words take pronunciation into account. But the people who named Ameraucana seem more interested in preserving the "aucana" than making an intuitive, easy word.

It's so unnatural that everyone I've heard say the word doesn't transition to an "a" sound after the "mer", they keep the "i" sound and basically say "Americauna".

On top of that, any new person who's like "How's that awkward name spelled again?", can enter it wrong in a search window and find a bunch of other people getting it wrong and hatcheries too. Or walk into a feed store boasting the wrong spelling on placards for chicks.
It's a lot to expect new people to keep straight.
Thanks for showing me grace ♥️ your kindness and knowledge is much appreciated.

I think people who have been exposed to the breed's name for a while might forget how awkward it is.
America is a word you learn early, and repeat a lot. The pronunciation sounds more like "meri" than "mer".
Most mish-mash words take pronunciation into account. But the people who named Ameraucana seem more interested in preserving the "aucana" than making an intuitive, easy word.

It's so unnatural that everyone I've heard say the word doesn't transition to an "a" sound after the "mer", they keep the "i" sound and basically say "Americauna".

On top of that, any new person who's like "How's that awkward name spelled again?", can enter it wrong in a search window and find a bunch of other people getting it wrong and hatcheries too. Or walk into a feed store boasting the wrong spelling on placards for chicks.
I don't think anyone minds a genuine misspelling of the name. The big problem with misspellings of ameraucana is that there are a lot of people and even hatcheries who know what they're selling are Easter Eggers, but they purposely sell them as "Americana" or "Americauna" in order to sell to new or ignorant customers who think they're getting the breed. People would probably be a lot less nitpicky about the spelling if this wasn't such a well used con.

I don't think anyone minds a genuine misspelling of the name.

But they do. They obviously mind. There's a lot of friendly fire any time someone spells it wrong. A lot of snippy posts not even explaining to new people what the problem is, although their responses show they don't understand.
Those of us who have been around a while understand why the spelling is important. New people do not understand. If you can't find a smidge of patience in yourself to explain it properly then it's probably best to not engage.

But they do. They obviously mind. There's a lot of friendly fire any time someone spells it wrong. A lot of snippy posts not even explaining to new people what the problem is, although their responses show they don't understand.
Those of us who have been around a while understand why the spelling is important. New people do not understand. If you can't find a smidge of patience in yourself to explain it properly then it's probably best to not engage.
Well, yeah, that's my point. People don't mind a genuine misspelling, but they're quick to point it out where it occurs and let people know they're misspelling it because of the bad actors. It's not something meant to be taken personally, but because of the nature of online communication, brief corrections are often misinterpreted as rude or snippy.

I’d like to jump in. I too have chickens that were bought at an Atwood’s feed store with a sign saying something like Ameraucana. I don’t remember how they spelled it and I as a novice just thought “oh cool…blue eggs”. I’m sure they are Easter eggers because I’ve been told their colors are not correct. I’m fine with that. I bought 5 of them and 2 were roosters. So I have 3 hens. Every one of them has pea combs, slate legs, muffs and beards and lay blue eggs. I also have 3 hatchery quality Rhode Island reds. The easter egger need them all and I hatched eggs. From the pullets that I kept I get blue eggs and light olive eggs. None of them lay brown eggs. This year my barred rock bred them all. I’m assuming I’ll get brown egg layers and some green egg layers. It’ll be interesting to see.

Which is why they should be educated. It's no different than the woman on FB I saw last night with Lavender Orpingtons wanting to know why the male looked different because he had gold. She posted pictures of a blue rooster with a pea comb and gold leakage. Clearly not a Lavender Orpington. She then proceeded to argue with all of the Orpington breeders in the FB Group that she'd bought them as Lavender Orps; therefore, they were Lavender Orps. Wrong. That sort of mindset leads to idiots crossing Jenday Conures and Sun Conures to make hybrids called Sundays but telling people they are Suns. So then they breed a hybrid to a Sun and sell those babies as Suns, and the cycle continues.

Just as one should not speak unless one can improve the silence, one should not breed any organism before first educating themselves on the nuances of the species, breed, variety, etc.

They should also ask why they are breeding. To explore genes, as was the case of Mendel and his peas? To preserve a heritage breed that is dying out on homesteads across the country as commercial hybrids are more favored? To breed and sell? Or to make more animals for your own personal use?

Last edited:
I’d like to jump in. I too have chickens that were bought at an Atwood’s feed store with a sign saying something like Ameraucana. I don’t remember how they spelled it and I as a novice just thought “oh cool…blue eggs”. I’m sure they are Easter eggers because I’ve been told their colors are not correct. I’m fine with that. I bought 5 of them and 2 were roosters. So I have 3 hens. Every one of them has pea combs, slate legs, muffs and beards and lay blue eggs. I also have 3 hatchery quality Rhode Island reds. The easter egger need them all and I hatched eggs. From the pullets that I kept I get blue eggs and light olive eggs. None of them lay brown eggs. This year my barred rock bred them all. I’m assuming I’ll get brown egg layers and some green egg layers. It’ll be interesting to see.
So what did you get? I'm so curious. :wee

Back
Top Bottom