Will an Americauna roo bred to any hen create an Easter egger essentially?

They are different.
No. They are not. You either have an Ameraucana or an EE/Americana
I'm no expert and not the one to explain it but for one, Ameraucana is an APA recognized breed and Easter egger is not. There are lots of articles explaining it if you want to do a Google search.
Are you looking at the spellings? Ameraucana are the real breed. Americana are EEs. It's just a name hatcheries use to try and make people think theyre buying something other than an EE/mutt.

No. They are not. You either have an Ameraucana or an EE/Americana

Are you looking at the spellings? Ameraucana are the real breed. Americana are EEs. It's just a name hatcheries use to try and make people think theyre buying something other than an EE/mutt.
Bro, what? I never once said americana. You can use the context of the post to understand the meaning. If you're not understanding or need clarity, ask a question. Your pompous spelling lesson is for the birds. Are you here to help or nah?

To answer the question in the title:
Yes, if the rooster passes the blue egg gene to all of his daughters, then all of them could reasonably be called Easter Eggers.

After some pondering, I would prefer it to be an Easter egger because it would theoretically have one blue egg laying gene and one white or brown gene which should throw more egg color options in the offspring.
Some Easter Eggers have two copies of the blue egg gene, some have one, some have none. So you will only know for sure if you test-mate him (breed to hens that have no blue egg gene, raise a bunch of daughters, see what color they lay) or do a DNA test (which does now exist-- a big help to anyone trying to breed chickens that lay colored eggs!)

Some hatcheries have flocks of Easter Eggers that they breed to each other, and some of the flocks do seem to be pure for the blue egg gene (just like purebred blue-egg breeds are supposed to do.) And some "purebred" chickens that are supposed to have two copies of the blue egg gene actually don't. So what the chicken is called, or what it looks like, is not always useful for knowing how many of a rooster's daughters will lay colored eggs.

My point is, Americauna and Easter eggers aren't the same thing

The way you are spelling "Americauna" is not the way the pure breed is spelled.
Most hatcheries that sell chicks with any mis-spelled form of that name are really selling Easter Eggers. So some people say "Americauna" (wrong spelling) is the same thing as an Easter Egger, because from most hatcheries it is.

The correct form of the breed name is Ameraucana, which does not have the letter i anywhere.

For many breeds, getting the spelling a little wrong is no big deal. But since hatcheries keep using wrong spellings of this one, some people get pretty fussy about it. And then it's hard to tell who is fussing about the spelling, and who is fussing about whether the breed really is different than Easter Eggers.

Last edited:
Yes, if the rooster passes the blue egg gene to all of his daughters, then all of them could reasonably be called Easter Eggers.

Some Easter Eggers have two copies of the blue egg gene, some have one, some have none. So you will only know for sure if you test-mate him (breed to hens that have no blue egg gene, raise a bunch of daughters, see what color they lay) or do a DNA test (which does now exist-- a big help to anyone trying to breed chickens that lay colored eggs!)

Some hatcheries have flocks of Easter Eggers that they breed to each other, and some of the flocks do seem to be pure for the blue egg gene (just like purebred blue-egg breeds are supposed to do.) And some "purebred" chickens that are supposed to have two copies of the blue egg gene actually don't. So what the chicken is called, or what it looks like, is not always useful for knowing how many of a rooster's daughters will lay colored eggs.

The way you are spelling "Americauana" is not the way the pure breed is spelled.
Most hatcheries that sell chicks with any mis-spelled form of that name are really selling Easter Eggers. So some people say "Americauna" (wrong spelling) is the same thing as an Easter Egger, because from most hatcheries it is.

The correct form of the breed name is Ameraucana, which does not have the letter i anywhere.

For many breeds, getting the spelling a little wrong is no big deal. But since hatcheries keep using wrong spellings of this one, some people get pretty fussy about it. And then it's hard to tell who is fussing about the spelling, and who is fussing about whether the breed really is different than Easter Eggers.

The way you are spelling "Americauana" is not the way the pure breed is spelled.

Thank you so much for your thorough response; it was very helpful! So I think raising some of his daughters to see what they lay sounds like a fun project 😃

Bro, what? I never once said americana. You can use the context of the post to understand the meaning. If you're not understanding or need clarity, ask a question. Your pompous spelling lesson is for the birds. Are you here to help or nah?
It's literally in the title of your post. I understand just fine what I was trying to explain, so sorry my 'pompous' spelling lesson wasn't helpful enough

received_281991586723037.jpeg

If hes an easter egger then he already only has one blue egg gene so bred to other breeds half would lay brown

If hes an easter egger then he already only has one blue egg gene so bred to other breeds half would lay brown
Easter Eggers are not that predictable.

An "easter egger" might have one blue egg gene, or two blue egg genes, or no blue egg genes. I think the ones with two blue egg genes are at least as common as the ones with just one blue egg gene, but that's a guess not a certainty.

With any Easter Egger, it is safest to assume that you DO NOT KNOW how many copies of the blue egg gene are present, until the chicken is tested one way or another (DNA test, hen laying eggs, daughters laying eggs, etc.)

I think people who have been exposed to the breed's name for a while might forget how awkward it is.
America is a word you learn early, and repeat a lot. The pronunciation sounds more like "meri" than "mer".
Most mish-mash words take pronunciation into account. But the people who named Ameraucana seem more interested in preserving the "aucana" than making an intuitive, easy word.

It's so unnatural that everyone I've heard say the word doesn't transition to an "a" sound after the "mer", they keep the "i" sound and basically say "Americauna".

On top of that, any new person who's like "How's that awkward name spelled again?", can enter it wrong in a search window and find a bunch of other people getting it wrong and hatcheries too. Or walk into a feed store boasting the wrong spelling on placards for chicks.
It's a lot to expect new people to keep straight.

Back
Top Bottom