EnnieM

Songster
Feb 28, 2020
Wisconsin
hey guys! so i’m just looking for some input, outside of my own brainstorming. feel free to pm me if you don’t want to give away your secrets publicly. 😉
i’m preparing to start a project, creating my own breeds of colored eggers. shooting for all green shades, may mess around with blue but only have 1 white egg breed at the moment. for those that do the same: what are the traits you notice make for the best sellers? barring? muffs? cheeks? comb type? what are YOUR favorite traits?
i’ll be using an Ameraucana roo. my hens are:
ameraucana (blue, black, splash)
maran (black copper, golden cuckoo, blue splash)
dominique
plymouth rock (blue, barred)
silkie (several colors, frizzle, showgirl, satin)
wyandotte (silver laced, golden laced, blue laced red, splash red laced)
speckled sussex
salmon faverolle
and then easter eggers and olive eggers.

Attachments

• 6EF7210B-AC0C-456E-8E21-6FB08E9AF564.jpeg
    6EF7210B-AC0C-456E-8E21-6FB08E9AF564.jpeg
    456.6 KB · Views: 246
I can’t give any advice on breeding and genetics unfortunately (we can only have hens due to local ordinances, so no chance to breed or even keep a Roo) but I’d love to follow along here for updates on what you end up doing and what egg colours you get!

We have a few EE mutts, one alleged Black Copper Marans (she doesn’t look too far off breed standards but hasn’t layed yet, and could also be a mutt) and one Minorca x Andalusian hen who should be a white layer. I may add another green or blue layer and some Orpingtons to the flock at the end of this year to stagger egg production 🙂

Back
Top Bottom