Easter Egger laying brown eggs

kh6234

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2023
Hi! Is there such a thing as an easter egger laying a brown egg? I know it’s a chance but I looked it up when I saw the egg as it’s the first egg she has laid and it’s not common as far as what I found on the internet and I believe she has a pea comb too which according to research I found means it’s a bigger chance she should lay blue eggs. I’m sure she laid this egg also as I saw her do it. It’s not a huge deal what colors her eggs are, but i’m just curious about this 😅 Picture of said easter egger next to my golden comet and egg she laid, it has little white speckles on it too.

Attachments

• IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6123.jpeg
    IMG_6123.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 14
If this is her first egg she's probably still working things out inside. Or she might just be laying brown. 🤷 Although the egg doesn't look brown to me...

Yes, an EE can lay brown eggs varying in shade from light brown, pinkish, tan, cream, etc., or she can lay eggs in shades of blueish to greenish. Whatever clor she lays, that's the color she will always lay, she won't sometimes lay pink then green then brown. Over the course of a season her eggs may change slightly in pigment, starting out a little darker and then fading toward the end of the year, but not much.

That to me looks like a very dull green color. Like if mint was mixed w tan: But to answer your question, Easter Eggers can lay brown.

I have an olive egger that lays a speckled, super dark BROWN egg. She has a pea comb, beard, & muffs. Got lucky though and my barnyard mixes all lay a green so I do have my olive…just not from her.

If you definitely want a blue egg, your best bet is a Cream Legbar, or a pure Ameraucana (not Americana). Whiting True Blues are almost 100% blue egg layers as well.

Hmm interesting, thank you guys! I only have one other easter egger and 4 golden comets

Is there such a thing as an easter egger laying a brown egg?
Yes, Easter eggers can lay eggs in ANY color including brown, white, blue, green, cream, etc. All eggs are white underneath(on the inside) with exception to *true* blue which is blue all the way through the shell. and all colors are dominant to white..

Easter Eggers is a general term that describes a bird that may not conform to any standard of perfection with regards to comb type, feather pattern, egg color, skin color, shank color, bearded or clean faced, etc. Some hatcheries sell them with incorrect "I" spelling Americana and usually state they are "meant to represent the breed but not for show". The term Easter Egger *generally* implies that at least one of the parent was from blue egg genes.. Ameraucana, Araucana, Cream Legbar, EVEN other EE, etc.

Genetics being as complex as they are.. those that play into egg color are many factors (about 15 genes from what I recall reading).. most not relevant to comb type, despite being a once popular belief.

Very few hatcheries (or folks) have done testing to see if their birds are homozygous for blue..

First (colored) eggs.. may rarely be at their true shade of whatever they're going to be.

also for Ameraucana that don't meet the SOP.
I personally would call an Ameraucana that didn't meet SOP as pet quality or cull rather than resorting to calling it an EE, but folks can do whatever pleases them.

This SOP chart for blue Ameraucana eggs has a wide range and variety of what is considered "accepted" shades of blue. (some are a little green and some are extra pale). image from google for educational purposes..
1710705860551.png

Yes, Easter eggers can lay eggs in ANY color including brown, white, blue, green, cream, etc. All eggs are white underneath(on the inside) with exception to *true* blue which is blue all the way through the shell. and all colors are dominant to white..

Easter Eggers is a general term that describes a bird that may not conform to any standard of perfection with regards to comb type, feather pattern, egg color, skin color, shank color, bearded or clean faced, etc. Some hatcheries sell them with incorrect "I" spelling Americana and usually state they are "meant to represent the breed but not for show". The term Easter Egger *generally* implies that at least one of the parent was from blue egg genes.. Ameraucana, Araucana, Cream Legbar, EVEN other EE, etc.

Genetics being as complex as they are.. those that play into egg color are many factors (about 15 genes from what I recall reading).. most not relevant to comb type, despite being a once popular belief.

Very few hatcheries (or folks) have done testing to see if their birds are homozygous for blue..

First (colored) eggs.. may rarely be at their true shade of whatever they're going to be.

I personally would call an Ameraucana that didn't meet SOP as pet quality or cull rather than resorting to calling it an EE, but folks can do whatever pleases them.

This SOP chart for blue Ameraucana eggs has a wide range and variety of what is considered "accepted" shades of blue. (some are a little green and some are extra pale). image from google for educational purposes..
View attachment 3774723
That's cool and useful! Is it possible to get an actual hard copy of this chart from the Ameraucana Breeders Club?

That's cool and useful! Is it possible to get an actual hard copy of this chart from the Ameraucana Breeders Club?
Okay, an attempt to not otherwise hijack a thread but still reply adequately and keep it relevant for the OP..

It (the egg color chart) came in a printed version via snail mail included with the cost of membership through Ameraucana Alliance which at the time was only about $10 ( and required by John Blehm to purchase any of his chicks). The reading of the forums there was worth the price of admission. Newsletters did come through email.

Here is a link to see if it's still available or valid (also looks to cost $10, maybe joining is a better deal??)..

http://ameraucana.org/Merchandise

I wasn't able to find a copy of the reference chart in question here, but they do reference it and it's got THEIR name on it, so maybe it can be found somewhere on their site.. also they have their own definition about an "Easter Egg chicken" is, (despite sharing my definition doesn't mean it's accurate or never changing)..

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/faq.html

Never mind the politics between these two clubs, This following link also states that the egg color reference chart is ONLY for reference (meaning not part of standard) and also has it's own definition of Easter Egger..

http://ameraucana.org/Ameraucanca FAQ

What Ameraucana Egg Shell Color is the most desired?
Officially, other than "blue" egg shells the club has not and probably won't try to define any other criteria of egg color. An Ameraucana Chicken Egg Color Reference Chart is on the back cover of the Ameraucana Handbook, but it is only for referencing or comparing egg shell colors.

"What are Easter Egg chickens?
The Ameraucana Alliance defines an Easter Egg chicken or Easter Egger as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn't fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards. Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn't meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken. By definition an Easter Egger is not a breed of chicken.
(Some have claimed that any variety that isn't recognized by the APA/ABA is an Easter Egger, but that is not true according to the definition above. For example, Splash Wheaten Ameraucanas breed true and are not Easter Eggers.)"

I peeked around to see if I could find the copy I have and send your way, but it hasn't showed it's pretty self just yet. And what's worse is I can't even remember if I gave it away already, threw it away, or just had either of those thoughts and put it somewhere for safe keeping! Forget losing it, I've done lost it. :woot

Back
Top Bottom