Breeding: Whiting True Blue Roo to Easter Egger hens? What would be the result?

homeandhens

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2022
I just brought home 2 handsome Whiting True Blue Roos.
My plan with them is to breed them with my welsummers to get beautiful Olive speckled eggs.

I am also thinking of breeding them with my Easter eggers, but what would be the result? What color eggs would the future hens lay? Blue? My Easter eggs hens right now, mostly lay blue right now, with an occasional green.

Also, I have:

Rhode Island Red (brown eggs)
Columbia Wyandotte (cream/pink eggs)
Andalusian Blue (white eggs)

Could I breed them to any of these as well?

I am very new to this whole breeding thing! Any tips would be helpful! Thank you!

I just brought home 2 handsome Whiting True Blue Roos.
My plan with them is to breed them with my welsummers to get beautiful Olive speckled eggs.
Yes, that should work.

I am also thinking of breeding them with my Easter eggers, but what would be the result? What color eggs would the future hens lay? Blue? My Easter eggs hens right now, mostly lay blue right now, with an occasional green.
Their chicks will probably also lay blue, maybe with an occasional green.

Also, I have:

Rhode Island Red (brown eggs)
Columbia Wyandotte (cream/pink eggs)
Andalusian Blue (white eggs)

Could I breed them to any of these as well?
You certainly could breed them to those hens.
Egg colors would probably be green from daughters of the Rhode Island Red or Columbian Wyandotte, blue from daughters of the Blue Andalusian.

I am very new to this whole breeding thing! Any tips would be helpful! Thank you!
Chicken genetics can be rather complicated. This makes it either annoying or fun, depending on whether you like learning such things.

Two very basic points about breeding:
--it is fine to cross any chicken breed with any other chicken breed, except that you should be a little careful to avoid giant roosters crushing tiny bantam hens.

--in chickens, the mother determines whether the chick is male or female. This is determined while the egg is being formed, before it is laid. It is backwards of mammals, where the father determines the gender of the offspring.

Yes, that should work.

Their chicks will probably also lay blue, maybe with an occasional green.

You certainly could breed them to those hens.
Egg colors would probably be green from daughters of the Rhode Island Red or Columbian Wyandotte, blue from daughters of the Blue Andalusian.

Chicken genetics can be rather complicated. This makes it either annoying or fun, depending on whether you like learning such things.

Two very basic points about breeding:
--it is fine to cross any chicken breed with any other chicken breed, except that you should be a little careful to avoid giant roosters crushing tiny bantam hens.

--in chickens, the mother determines whether the chick is male or female. This is determined while the egg is being formed, before it is laid. It is backwards of mammals, where the father determines the gender of the offspring.
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of this!! I truly appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom