Mushrooms causing neurological issues?

babybop11

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2023
I’ve been posting on here about my chicken that is having balance and coordination issues, falling down. I just was in her favorite foraging area and found this mushroom that appears to have been nibbled on. Does anyone know anything about mushrooms and if this could have caused it? She’s been like this for almost three days but is still eating and drinking and seeming generally okay just falling and clumsy. Been doing B Complex and E vitamins.
F9C2C49E-F468-48C2-82A6-9C3B50ECC73A.jpeg

Attachments

• 08D916DF-2C01-48C9-BF63-1D0FC1AE7B3E.jpeg
    08D916DF-2C01-48C9-BF63-1D0FC1AE7B3E.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 5
If there's plenty of forage it would be unusual for a chicken to consume a poisonous mushroom. How old is your chicken? Mareks comes to mind with those symptoms. Is she getting thin?

that looks more like slug damage than pecking.

The best estimate suggests there are about 3 million species of fungi (only about 6% of which have been described), and most animal species are adept at eating only the ones that are not toxic to them as oldhenlikesdogs said. Some are used as medicines. Some are both poisons and medicines - which depends on the dose in that case.

I think the neurological issue your hen is suffering is probably caused by something else, possibly an illness that she will fight off with plenty of tlc and good food.

Back
Top Bottom