Barred Rock & EE a Roo?

akachanChick

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 20, 2013
First time having backyard flock, my family is loving it.... but now we are thinking two of the four chicks may possibly be a rooster. Since we cannot keep the roo, we would really like to find a good home for them soon! Please help me identify! Any advice are much appreciated!

EE is rather timid while BR is a boss always keeping the others in line.

Pictures taken today at about 9 weeks old-EE; 9-10 weeks old-BR

thanks! can you tell me how? just want to learn.
D.gif

Quote:
Sure! The signs are different for the two breeds. In Easter Eggers, you look for red patches on the wings (which will grow into big beautiful swatches of color later). In Barred Rocks, males inherit two of the bar genes (white stripe on the feather). That means that they get more white on their feathers, which makes them lighter in color overall. If your bird were a female, she'd be much darker colored.

Thanks for explaining the differences. Sad to find out but much appreciate the help! 2 out of 3 chicks (from the local feed store, supposed to be sexed) turned out not female... guess we must have poor luck and definitely much to learn...!

We are new to having chickens for the home flock, is it better to get the chicks from breeders vs hatcheries? any better chance of sexing right and better bloodline?
We are only raising hens for eggs & fun... but curious what all you experienced flock master may preferred?

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom