Barred Rock - huge beak question

Parks

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2016
So, from everything I have read so far it is still too early to tell the which way this baby chick is going even though it is suppose to be a pullet. Or at leas 90% chance she was sexed correctly. Here's the deal. She is approx 2 weeks old; similar too the 5 other chick we have. While they are mostly the same size this chick has a beak that is huge compared to the similar sized chicks. My wife and I keep joking that it's a roo and well realize this next Fall, the hard way. I assume it is too small to make an educated guess but does this bread tend to have larger beaks or "hit puberty" earlier?
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I guess it depends on who your comparing them too. My 7 Barred Rocks have no Bigger beak than my Silver penciled Rock or my laced wyannadotte or my Golden buff. They all have about a equal beak size. Nothing unusually large. I suppose some breeds have larger beaks than other breeds as chicks. I wouldn't worry. It's likely just the breed your comparing them against that makes their beaks appear large. Compared to other certain breeds their beaks are no larger. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom