Barred Rock or Australorp?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
We are getting 5 new chicks. I am splitting orders with a family member & some neighbors. We are getting:
1. Turken/Naked Neck
2. Cochin
3. Bielefelder
4. Wyandotte
5. Deciding between Barred Rock or Australorp.

The good news is, I am raising them for my family member until 4 weeks old, and they are letting me keep the 5 I want, so I can see how they act as chicks up until that point. There is one of each in our order. Very curious to see what you all think will be the best choice.

Factors most important to me:
Friendly, Not Flighty, Cold Hardy

Thanks! I don’t know how I’ll last til June!

Last edited:
I have rocks & lorps and I think they are both great. The rock is more friendly than the lorp but not by a significant amount. My rocks are a little more agile than my lorps. I believe they are both cold hardy. Hard choice I think! I would prob go with the lorps because they are a little bit bigger bodied, a little more hearty. I like a chunky hen. 😅 Plus, they are beautiful in the sunshine & have the kindest faces.

I only have experience with Australorps (getting Barred Rocks this spring). We live in Alaska, and their coop is NOT insulated. So far, they've faired really well. 2 of them have tiny combs. The 3rd has a bigger comb, but not huge, and (so far) no issues with frostbite. They're more friendly than our Brahmas, and they'll eat out of my hand, but still prefer not to be picked up. I haven't noticed them being overly flighty, but they certainly don't have any issues getting up to the top roost.

Are you set on those breeds? Will the Turken not get a cold neck? Rocks and Aussies are both excellent breeds.
I’ve no experience with the Cochin, Turken, or Bielefielder, but two of those, I’ve read, are heavier eaters with one being less of a layer.
Please let us know what you decide!

I've had Barred Rocks and they are great birds and I may get some more. This is our first go round with the Lorps and so far at 5 wks I like what I see, active and curious. Picking more up mid March. Wyandottes are nice looking but I like a prominent single comb rather than a rose comb. Friends had some Turkens that always reminded me of the dimwitted buzzard from the cartoons, the one where it was "bringing home a baby bumble bee", maybe before your time. We had a Cochin rooster that was beautiful bird, supposed to be gentle birds but ours was one on the meanest most aggressive I ever had. Rehomed to the big coop in the sky The others I've had no experience with. The good news is whatever you pick you will 2nd guess yourself and be looking at more breeds:)

Back
Top Bottom