Barred Rock question

Hunter2015

Hatching
Feb 6, 2016
Georgia
I am stumped on identifying some chicks. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a barred rock and a dominque as a chick? Everything that I have found shows them being identical as chicks. Thanks

wow as chicks I really don't know
as adults the barred rock has a single comb while the Dominique has a rose comb. As chicks I have, coming in April Barred Rocks, silver Penciled Rock, and Golden Cuckoo Maran. wish me luck on telling who's who because as chicks the cuckoo maran, barred rock, and penciled rock look alike too! it's going to be difficult, if not impossible for me to know who's who. I completely feel for you if you have both barred rock and Dominique chicks! it's really going to take a trained eye to see the difference. maybe someone else knows?

Rocks have single combs, Dominiques have rose combs. You will be able to tell the difference even as chicks by the comb. Both breeds have yellow legs.

Cuckoo Marans are another barred breed. They have single combs like Rocks, but they have white legs.

Rocks have single combs, Dominiques have rose combs. You will be able to tell the difference even as chicks by the comb. Both breeds have yellow legs.

Cuckoo Marans are another barred breed. They have single combs like Rocks, but they have white legs.

white legs? OK I will be looking for that. how about the penciled rock? by looking at the chicks they look pretty similar but maybe a hair lighter. is that how I tell the barred and penciled apart as chicks?

Barred chicks are always black with a head spot. Penciled chicks are more striped/colorful depending on where they came from. And no head spot.

Back
Top Bottom