Barred Rock question

ksohn79

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 6, 2012
Claremont, NH
We are new to chickens and are loving every minute of it! Our girls are about 20 weeks old now and I noticed in the past week or so that Frannie our barred rock is starting to get some teal coloring in her feathers. Is this normal for a barred rock? I don't recall ever seeing this before but I can't say I was ever looking for the teal either.

That sounds more like an Australorp's coloring than a Barred Rock... We have both breeds of chicken and were new to chickens this spring. They are a blast to watch; you'll be amazed at the time you spend watching them....

frow.gif
D.gif

That sounds more like an Australorp's coloring than a Barred Rock... We have both breeds of chicken and were new to chickens this spring. They are a blast to watch; you'll be amazed at the time you spend watching them....

frow.gif
D.gif
We got our chickens at the end of April and just love them so much! Yes, I can easily lose track of time watching them, lol! We have two white leghorns, 1 nh red and 1 barred rock. I got them from someone who got an order of 12 at the hardware store and didn't want them all and we didn't want to get that many either so it worked out. I only know what she told me as far as breed. Frannie is black and white like a barred rock but has this really pretty teal mixing in the past week or so. It's not like when the sun shines on her, it's actually teal coloring in her feathers. Are your barred rocks like this? Will try to get some pics : )

A year ago last spring, I picked up some hatchery grade Barred Rocks from a local TSC, where the manager needed to move out some birds in a big, big hurry. I was glad to oblige. On a couple of the birds, there was green ticking and on one in particular, it was quite noticeable. However, since I am neither a photographer nor own a good camera, it is very difficult to capture in a picture. I've seen this teal green ticking in other hatchery BRs, so I'm not thinking it is unusual at all.

You have to look carefully, but this bird has a number of teal green ticks in her feathers.

Last edited:
I will take a closer look at our Barred Rocks today, but don't recall any teal specks... We have 3 BR hen, 1 BR rooster, 4 Australorp and 3 Guiena Hens. We wanted all girls, but when Betty started crowing she became Ron!!
lau.gif
He is very good with his girls and us, not aggresive at all. They were raised together from day one and get along very well.

Back
Top Bottom