Barred rock rooster/Rhode Island Red hen

Hi...I brought home four baby chicks in February and just found out one of my Barred Rocks is a rooster. She had been crowing, and I thought it was bc she was protecting the younger chicks from something. I now believe she is a he! My Rhode Island Reds started brooding four eggs and won't leave the coop. I have to get rid of the Barred Rock rooster, but haven't found a home for it yet and with my red brooding, I no longer have eggs to eat. What should I do?

This is a cross of Barred Plymouth Rock Rooster and a production red hen.
I'm thinking if the hen is a RIR it will look the same. I'll post a picture when I hatch one.
They are good for meat by the way.
You can see he looks heavy.

I recently hatched chicks from a BR Roo and RIR hen. What do we call them? What name are they classified under. I've looked it up and I've found where some call them Rhodebarrs. Just curious to know if any of you have any info on this.

I recently hatched chicks from a BR Roo and RIR hen. What do we call them? What name are they classified under. I've looked it up and I've found where some call them Rhodebarrs.
Rhodebars are a rare autosexing breed that was developed in England back in the 1940s.

Now if you had used a RIR male over a barred female you would have black sex links, where the female chicks would be solid in color and the males would have a white dot on the head. With a barred male over a RIR hen you will have all barred offspring, so I would just call them barred mixed breeds.

Rhodebars are a rare autosexing breed that was developed in England back in the 1940s.

Now if you had used a RIR male over a barred female you would have black sex links, where the female chicks would be solid in color and the males would have a white dot on the head. With a barred male over a RIR hen you will have all barred offspring, so I would just call them barred mixed breeds.

Thank you very much! Interesting how these chicks can come out looking!

We purchased what we thought were black sex links chicks at TS. Well all of them are barred and I am having a hard time figuring out which ones are roosters. They look very close even at 4/5 mos. old Some have started to crow but others haven't. I finally mixed them with our older one's which are orphingtons 3 hens and 1 rooster (2 yrs old) . I am separating them out as I discover them. Is it normal for the hens to have larger cones and waddles than other breeds. Or do I have a bunch of roosters?

We purchased what we thought were black sex links chicks at TS. Well all of them are barred and I am having a hard time figuring out which ones are roosters. They look very close even at 4/5 mos. old Some have started to crow but others haven't. I finally mixed them with our older one's which are orphingtons 3 hens and 1 rooster (2 yrs old) . I am separating them out as I discover them. Is it normal for the hens to have larger cones and waddles than other breeds. Or do I have a bunch of roosters?
If they really are black sexlinks, then they are most certainly all male. At 4 months of age, male specific feathering should be very obvious.

IMG_2777.PNG
Thought I'd share a picture of some of my chicks! I have a BR roo and my hens are RIR, buff orps, BR, and SLW.
It's going to be fun to see what they all end up looking like!

Attachments

• IMG_2775.PNG
    IMG_2775.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 41
If they really are black sexlinks, then they are most certainly all male. At 4 months of age, male specific feathering should be very obvious.
That's what I thought but these things are odd. They are all larger than the orpingtons. Would our older rooster try to fight a new female? I sure hope their not all roosters.:barnie
Thanks for answering my questions. It's not easy to find good info.

Back
Top Bottom