Barred Rock setting?

GarthRyan

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Hey guys and gals, haven't been on here in months. Anyways, I noticed one of my Barred Rock hens acting funny the other day. Yesterday evening she was all fluffed up sitting on the roost when I went to feed and when I went to get the eggs out of the box she hopped down and chased the other hens around stood back and watched. Well I thought she might be setting so i felt of the eggs before I picked them up and they were all cold so I figured she was just moody and took the eggs. Then later that evening I noticed that she was sitting in there. Then this morning I go outside and find her sitting there again so I became rather suspicious. I came in and candled the eggs I collected and a few of them had red rings, that means dead chick right? I'll attach pictures of a few and what it looked like when I cracked them open. You can barely see the rings but they're red. Then when I cracked them open, the egg white (albumen?) was kinda cloudy and real thin and the yolk was watery and just poored out with no shape. Is my hen setting?

Well....

I checked her yesterday morning and she's sitting on eggs again. She has six and I figure she'll do fine with that many. I marked them and my calendar and left her alone for the day. It's funny watching the other chickens look in the box at her, they look shocked and as if they don't know how to act.
yippiechickie.gif

If my hen is sitting on eggs that are one day apart that means they'll hatch on different days right? If they do will she stay on the eggs until they all hatch or just abandon the nest?

Alrighty then, looks like I'm being ignored here now. Y'all have fun helping the people that you feel like helping, I'll make sure that I don't post here again.

If my hen is sitting on eggs that are one day apart that means they'll hatch on different days right? If they do will she stay on the eggs until they all hatch or just abandon the nest?
It's hard to know what she'll do, which is why you may not have gotten an answer right away. For the record, I just saw your post. Some hens jump off the nest as soon as the first one or two hatch, some will stay on the nest for another day or so.

Alrighty then, looks like I'm being ignored here now. Y'all have fun helping the people that you feel like helping, I'll make sure that I don't post here again.
No sense in getting your undies in a bundle. Just because you don't get an answer immediately doesn't mean you're being ignored. If the people who have read your post and don't know the answer, they may not feel comfortable answering. Patience can be a good thing... Have a nice day, and I hope it works out with your broody.

Fair enough. I'm on a different forum with a different theme than chickens and there the replies are fast and plentiful and we don't have nearly as many members as this site does. I guess I'm just used to the quick responses and assumed that when I went a couple days and posts without a comment that I was being avoided.

Back
Top Bottom