Barred Rock thread!!

Pics
These two are my first barred rocks. Just a couple pictures to show BR pullets 8 weeks old and how they mature differently. Really I just like taking pictures of them. :)

Stella and Rogue 8 weeks

Stella

Rogue

Lots of firsts for me. Incubated eggs for the first time, they hatched yesterday. I have my first broody, Bernice, from my first flock(last year). And I slipped a few chicks under her today and removed the eggs. Excited!!

Last edited:
Oh how exciting. I've only had chickens two years. I haven't hatched eggs yet.keep us posted. :D

I only got my first flock last March. I knew I wanted to try and hatch but I wasn't getting any broody action. I had to rehome my Roo and knew I wanted chicks so I used my father in laws incubator while I still had fertile eggs. Half way through incubation Bernice went broody!!
1f604.png

I hope Bernice turns out to be a wonderful mother. I plan on hatching eggs next year or so. I'm trying to learn what I can now. A whole new chapter in raising chickens.

I hope Bernice turns out to be a wonderful mother. I plan on hatching eggs next year or so. I'm trying to learn what I can now. A whole new chapter in raising chickens.

It's a steep learning curve. Having a few egg layers to hatching made my sons day but I asked billions of questions and learnt heaps doing so

Last edited:

Roque the Rooster, with his "sisters" Pojo and Pocky. Alice was photo shy when we took this and stayed in the brooder. They were about four weeks old at the time, doubled in size since then...as did their appetites.

Roque the Rooster, with his "sisters" Pojo and Pocky. Alice was photo shy when we took this and stayed in the brooder. They were about four weeks old at the time, doubled in size since then...as did their appetites.
Love the photo. But also a great teaching one too. You can really see the male "light grey" compared to the girls "dark grey" used for sexing chicks ! ( other than Roque's comb!) stunning chooks.

Bernice has indeed turned into quite the mother. So fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom