Barred Rock thread!!

Pics
Ive been afraid of that but everyone swears not, because of the color, saying roosters are lighter...

In most cases but my breeder says he will get that one that is darker and be a rooster.

Time may prove that's it's an odd girl - the tail does look girlish to me But. The very large feet ( particularly middle long toe ) and large red comb and wattles indicate rooster too.... Ask your self if you took away the colour what your opinion would be ?

Maybe do a feather print on hackle and saddle feathers are they rounder or pointy?

One of my girls has a rooster ish tail but she never had big feet or red large comb.

Last edited:
This is for anyone with barred rock chickens. I knew that two of my barred rock pullets were getting close to POL. They both were doing the same things, squatting, making lots of noise and I knew they were real close. Tonight I went in to lock everyone in and I had two eggs sitting on top of a box. They were both soft shelled eggs. This is really funny to me because about 2 1/2 weeks ago another one of my chickens laid A softshell the egg out in the yard. That was my Easter Egger Leghorn. I've heard that new egg layers could lay a softshelled egg the first time that it's nothing uncommon. This is the only time I've ever had that happen with my chickens. Since the first chicken laid her very first soft shelled egg she has laid a real pretty little blue egg every single day,she's going on like egg nineteen. It's also so funny to me that both of my B.R. chickens laid their very first egg on the same day and that they were both soft shell. They were really in sync.
By barred rock chickens have been a lot of fun lately. They started jumping up on my lap and not just one of them,both do it at the same time, that is really strange. It's like if one jumps up on me here comes the other one. They let me pick them up without any problems. I had to clip both of their wings and that was the easiest I've ever had to do. They were getting up on the fence and wanting to jump all over it so I clipped their wings. It's just a funny thing to me maybe not to anybody else. Just thought I'd share.

I am a first timer with chickens, so I only have my research and advise, no experience. Initially, I thought roo, but Ive posted photos at 3 and 4 weeks (now 5) and that's when I first learned of the color being a clue. Many claimed pullet so I was hopeful. I can take a close photo of feathers, they're really good lol

In most cases but my breeder says he will get that one that is darker and be a rooster.

Time may prove that's it's an odd girl - the tail does look girlish to me But. The very large feet ( particularly middle long toe ) and large red comb and wattles indicate rooster too.... Ask your self if you took away the colour what your opinion would be ?

Maybe do a feather print on hackle and saddle feathers are they rounder or pointy?

One of my girls has a rooster ish tail but she never had big feet or red large comb.

This is for anyone with barred rock chickens. I knew that two of my barred rock pullets were getting close to POL. They both were doing the same things, squatting, making lots of noise and I knew they were real close. Tonight I went in to lock everyone in and I had two eggs sitting on top of a box. They were both soft shelled eggs. This is really funny to me because about 2 1/2 weeks ago another one of my chickens laid A softshell the egg out in the yard. That was my Easter Egger Leghorn. I've heard that new egg layers could lay a softshelled egg the first time that it's nothing uncommon. This is the only time I've ever had that happen with my chickens. Since the first chicken laid her very first soft shelled egg she has laid a real pretty little blue egg every single day,she's going on like egg nineteen. It's also so funny to me that both of my B.R. chickens laid their very first egg on the same day and that they were both soft shell. They were really in sync.
By barred rock chickens have been a lot of fun lately. They started jumping up on my lap and not just one of them,both do it at the same time, that is really strange. It's like if one jumps up on me here comes the other one. They let me pick them up without any problems. I had to clip both of their wings and that was the easiest I've ever had to do. They were getting up on the fence and wanting to jump all over it so I clipped their wings. It's just a funny thing to me maybe not to anybody else. Just thought I'd share.

It is normal for soft eggs just ensure you have calcium on free take for them. NOTE calcium and grit are different

I am a first timer with chickens, so I only have my research and advise, no experience. Initially, I thought roo, but Ive posted photos at 3 and 4 weeks (now 5) and that's when I first learned of the color being a clue. Many claimed pullet so I was hopeful. I can take a close photo of feathers, they're really good lol

I could tell my boys as they were very light next to the girls except one ! He was darker than the boys not as dark as the girls

Come post the 5 week old pics in Australian thread (check my posts) and see what the gang say there

Isms am, I don't have to give my chickens too much grit because my yard is plenty full of it. My chickens free range all the time so they get plenty of little rocks and whatever they need and as far as calcium goes we use a lot of eggs and I just grind them up and give them right back to them. The shells that is. I think it was just a freak thing just because they are young pullets. Thanks for the info. I read some stuff about it being normal for new layers to do that.thank you

Isms am, I don't have to give my chickens too much grit because my yard is plenty full of it. My chickens free range all the time so they get plenty of little rocks and whatever they need and as far as calcium goes we use a lot of eggs and I just grind them up and give them right back to them. The shells that is. I think it was just a freak thing just because they are young pullets. Thanks for the info. I read some stuff about it being normal for new layers to do that.thank you

Great sounds like they are all good !

Iamsam, I got two normal new little eggs this morning one blue, and one light brown. I don't remember if I said one of my barred rock pullets is an Easter Egger. Don't know for sure who laid me the weird egg I had yesterday but I was just guessing it was one of them but they seem to be fine today. Thanks for your comment

Back
Top Bottom