Barred Rock thread!!

Pics

So I've been told my little one might be a Barred Rock instead of an Australorp like I ordered AND she might be a he. What do you all think?

Had 6 reds and 5 black chicks. My guess is my barred rock snuck some eggs under my broody.

ROFL Well that would be a surprise.
gig.gif

The markings look female and I hear BRs are easy to sex but I had one that favored a cockerel for a while but turned out pullet
I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it is a pullet. Now I need to learn about these types of chickens.

Hey guys! I'm a new chicken mama, and I have 10 chickies ranging from 6 to 9 weeks old. I'm pretty sure I have all girls. At least I hope. Two of the older ones are BRs, and they think they are the "bosses" and are not terribly friendly. I'm hoping that changes soon. I manage to grab Esmeralda once in awhile, and she doesn't fuss too much, but really doesn't like being held. Griselda will have nothing to do with being picked up. She's always trying to escape the pen. In fact, last weekend she ran out the door before I could get out. Thank heavens our dog Kya was in the house. I think we'd have a dead bird if she had been out there like she usually is! Luckily I managed to grab Grizzie before she could take off somewhere!

Today I was our with the birds, and happened to look at (I think it was Ezzie) in the sunlight, and I noticed her black bars were showing a beautiful green iridescence! Is that normal? I love it either way. It's like my BSLs Morticia and Elvira, and their beautiful black feathers with iridescent greens, blues and lavenders. I'll hafta try and get some new pics of them.

Hello! I am looking to find some BPR's with the proper body style, sharp barring and nice yellow legs...any ideas where I could find some in the South?
old.gif
I have a few but they are getting older so I would like a few new ones this Fall....
jumpy.gif

Congratulations!! It is so exciting to hatch your own chicks.
jumpy.gif
I can't wait until the spring when my younger pullets, including BR, are old enough to lay and I can hatch some of their chicks.
Hi! I am also in La. near Lake Charles with a few barred rocks from the heritage farm in Kansas called Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch. I am needing some newbies. Especially a rooster with good barring and nice yellow legs/ proper body shape (no squirrel tail) and am trying to find someone nearer than Kansas that may have some really good ones...is that you!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom