Barred Rock thread!!

Pics
When did your barred rocks start laying? We have 2 18 week olds and they still haven't started. Not sure if that's normal but most people are making it seem like it's a bad thing. Thanks.

One of ours started around 20 weeks. We are now approaching 25 weeks and I don't believe they are all laying yet. I have 9 Barred and 3 Brahma. I get about 7 consistently every day for about a week now. The eggs are starting to get bigger so that makes us excited.

I am not impressed with the barred rocks. They are friendly, healthy, good foragers etc but they lay really small eggs. We are in the free range egg business and cannot sell them, they are too small. I may have to sell them.

I am not impressed with the barred rocks. They are friendly, healthy, good foragers etc but they lay really small eggs. We are in the free range egg business and cannot sell them, they are too small. I may have to sell them.

really my lays the same size as my as my red stars and Wyandotte's!! my easter eager lays really little eggs!!

my easter eggers lay medium to sort of large but they are getting older so do not lay very often, they were great layers in their day, weather never bothers them. I bought some gold sex links this year and they lay xl eggs but I have heard they are not long lived, which is surprising since they are hybrids and usually hybrids have the "hybrid vigor". I have a blue Andalusian who has never been a good layer. I am going to try a bunch of different varieties, but I sure do not want any more barred rocks or blue andies. also will avoid buff orpingtons as they cannot take heat at all and it gets very hot in south texas!!

mine started laying about 21-22 weeks old but they still lay occasional small eggs, most are medium but so far nothing large, not the best layers.

mine started laying about 21-22 weeks old but they still lay occasional small eggs, most are medium but so far nothing large, not the best layers.
Mine have been excellent layers. Every now and then I get a hen that is not as good as the others but as a whole I get 5-6 eggs per week per chicken. Slows to 4-5 per week each during the winter. My eggs are large in size and after first winter they tend to get larger yet. They lay excellent until they are about 2 1/2 years old then start slowing down but lay extra large eggs instead of large. Been this way for me for years.

Back
Top Bottom