Barred rock vs. Dominique chick?

vermontgal

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Salt Lake City / Sugarhood
I'm sharing a chick order with a neighbor (still a small order, 7 birds total). As part of the mix, she is getting a BR and I am getting a Dominique. Any tips on telling these chicks apart? I know that the BR has a single comb and the Dominique a rose comb. Will we be able to tell those tiny combs apart at 1 day old? They will both be pullets (we hope!).

Thanks!

Yes, you will be able to tell the difference. The br will have an obvious single comb and the dom's comb will look flat.

Well, this was a non-issue. There were only 6 chicks in the box, instead of the 7 we ordered. I think we ended up with the barred rock, but no dominique.
sad.png

I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't get your Dominique. Did you order from MPC. I received 2 Dominiques from MPC last week, and one died the second day I got them.
sad.png
She became very lethargic, and just wouldn't get up...by the end of the day she passed away. The other one though, is very feisty and becoming my sons favorite chick of the bunch.

I also have 3 month old BR's and just love them. They are sooo tame compared to my RIR's. They actually come when I call them and follow me around the yard...always begging for food.
smile.png
You won't be disappointed. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom