Barred rock x ameracauna comb type

LegbarMama

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
I have several chicks that I believe could be ameracauna x barred rock, some have pea combs and some have straight combs. Is this possible?

Did you see the parents at all? Or are they your birds? A pure Ameraucana should be pure for the pea comb gene, which is dominant over single combs. Pure Ameraucanas should be pure for the pea comb gene (P/P). Mixing that with a single combed bird (p+/p+) should give you all offspring with one pea comb gene and one not-pea-comb gene (P/p+), so as chicks they should look like they have pea combs, not single combs.

That said, many Easter-eggers are sold as 'Americaunas' or other misspellings of the breed, and it's common for Easter-eggers to only have one pea comb gene. Crossing an EE with only one pea comb gene to any breed with a single comb would give you roughly equal numbers pea comb and single comb in the offspring.

Did you see the parents at all? Or are they your birds? A pure Ameraucana should be pure for the pea comb gene, which is dominant over single combs. Pure Ameraucanas should be pure for the pea comb gene (P/P). Mixing that with a single combed bird (p+/p+) should give you all offspring with one pea comb gene and one not-pea-comb gene (P/p+), so as chicks they should look like they have pea combs, not single combs.

That said, many Easter-eggers are sold as 'Americaunas' or other misspellings of the breed, and it's common for Easter-eggers to only have one pea comb gene. Crossing an EE with only one pea comb gene to any breed with a single comb would give you roughly equal numbers pea comb and single comb in the offspring.
Thank you for the info! I bought eggs from so someone and knew the chicks would be mixed. There was an Easter egger rooster and barred rock rooster, ameracauna hens and other hens as well. The chicks are around 2 weeks old now so I'm trying to figure out who the parents could be of all the different babies.

I'm assuming the eggs they hatched from were blue which is why you were thinking the Ameraucanas were part of the mix. Did they say what variety the Ameraucanas were? Any other blue eggers among the hens there? With pictures of the chicks and a list of the possible parents, it's likely I or someone else could at least narrow down who the parents might be. 🙂

I'm assuming the eggs they hatched from were blue which is why you were thinking the Ameraucanas were part of the mix. Did they say what variety the Ameraucanas were? Any other blue eggers among the hens there? With pictures of the chicks and a list of the possible parents, it's likely I or someone else could at least narrow down who the parents might be. 🙂
There were blue, white and brown eggs and bc they all looked so similar and alot hatched while I was sleeping I wasn't able to record which chick came from which egg. I will attach some photos tho! Most of them look like alot like barred rocks.
20230523_162112.jpg

20230524_111337.jpg

20230516_155718.jpg
20230524_112448.jpg

The first 3 have pea combs, the last one has a straight comb. There are more but I don't have good photos of them all. One looks like a barred rock but with a pea comb, one is all black with a pea comb. The rest look like barred rocks with straight combs.

And no I don't know what colors the Ameraucanas are unfortunately. I just wanted to add some different colors into my flock. It's been interesting trying to guess what they all are lol

Any chicks with a pea comb either came from the Easter-egger rooster (assuming he has a pea comb) or a hen with a pea comb, so possibly the Ameraucana hens.

The first chick (blue-gray with orange on its face) and the all black chick must have been fathered by the Easter-egger rooster as a Barred Rock male will always pass barring to all of his offspring and neither of those appear to have barring.

The single-combed chick at the end must have had at least one barred parent to be barred, itself, so either the Barred Rock rooster or a barred hen was a parent.

The yellowish chick must have had at least one parent with a beard as that is a dominant trait, so possibly the Easter-egger rooster if he's bearded or possibly the Ameraucana hens.

Do you know the rest of the breeds that the other person had?

Back
Top Bottom