Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Hi,
I was fortunate to receive Barred Rocks from DesertMarcy just last week. They are very robust and healthy little chicks, and arrived quickly and very nicely packaged.
I ordered two other Heritage breeds at the same time.

Erik Nelson's is a name from Maine that was sent to me with Barred Rocks. I have not seen his line of Barred Rocks does anyone have any of his line?

Another nice person gave me Jamie Duckworth's contact number so I can get with him on what he has right now. I helped Jamie get going about five years ago. He is one of the top students of using the Hogan method
of culling I ever met. He was a top Buckeye breeder a few years ago when they where improving the Buckeye breed.

Glad you got so many Barred Rocks from Matt 1616. I saw the parents and I liked the birds.

I think they will do well in Arizona. Remember some may not do so well because they may not have the ability to take the heat heck down here I had Reds from Ohio that died In August. You have to use the Fit of the Fittest Principle when raising these birds. Keep the good ones that make it though the heat of the summer and breed from them and in about three years from this method of selection your birds will be adjusted to your climate. That is what is neat about a buddy system of a good strain. You then take your birds and cross them to say a person who has the same line just like you got from Matt 1616 say in Georgia and cross them and its like introducing a complete different gene pool like say the birds from the Nelson line to your birds. The change in climate, water and feed makes a great difference and you will have great vigor from the introduction of the cross and yet you still have the same gene pool that you both started with.

Thank you for your message. Glad you have Barred Rocks.

Last edited:
I bought a quad of GSBR and a quad of Blue Plymouth Rocks from Tigercreek (Stan) last fall. I originally just bought the blues for eating eggs but after seeing what is out there and what I now have I have started to focus on working with this color. Sadly my GSBR roo died Christmas week and I had been on the hunt ever since to get another roo. A little over a month ago I was lucky enough to acquire two-1 week old cockerels (hatched from Frank's eggs) from Ripster and shortly after Luanne, here in Florida, had a 2 yr. old GSBR roo and pullet available. Even though I have a small number of birds I think having different lines from the start will help me out in the long run.

Erik Nelson's is a name from Maine that was sent to me with Barred Rocks. I have not seen his line of Barred Rocks does anyone have any of his line?

Another nice person gave me Jamie Duckworth's contact number so I can get with him on what he has right now. I helped Jamie get going about five years ago. He is one of the top students of using the Hogan method
of culling I ever met. He was a top Buckeye breeder a few years ago when they where improving the Buckeye breed.

Glad you got so many Barred Rocks from Matt 1616. I saw the parents and I liked the birds.

I think they will do well in Arizona. Remember some may not do so well because they may not have the ability to take the heat heck down here I had Reds from Ohio that died In August. You have to use the Fit of the Fittest Principle when raising these birds. Keep the good ones that make it though the heat of the summer and breed from them and in about three years from this method of selection your birds will be adjusted to your climate. That is what is neat about a buddy system of a good strain. You then take your birds and cross them to say a person who has the same line just like you got from Matt 1616 say in Georgia and cross them and its like introducing a complete different gene pool like say the birds from the Nelson line to your birds. The change in climate, water and feed makes a great difference and you will have great vigor from the introduction of the cross and yet you still have the same gene pool that you both started with.

Gene Helton in AZ has some very good barred Rock large fowl. I have seen them in a few shows.

Walt

According to his website, "Butch" (V.P. of APA) has several varieties...

http://www.butchsbirds.com/chickens.htm

Plymouth Rocks: White, Barred, Partridge, Light Columbian, and Buff
- Day Old: $7.50 ea - Adults: $20.00 ea
Here's a nice article written about him and his birds etc. through a local Wisconsin publication too.

http://magissues.farmprogress.com/WSA/WA10Oct09/wsa024.pdf

Quote: Walt Gene got his Barred Rocks from a fellow in Arizona that a lot of people don't know about he does not show. He got his start 30 years ago from Glen Holgelson who we think got them from Ralph Sturgeon.

Marvin Stutkler or something like that I lost track as I don't have the membership of the Rock Club. At least the males have nice tales.

Thanks for your tips. I got to write this article for the club. bob

Last edited:
Walt Gene got his Barred Rocks from a fellow in Arizona that a lot of people don't know about he does not show. He got his start 30 years ago from Glen Holgelson who we think got them from Ralph Sturgeon.

Marvin Stutkler or something like that I lost track as I don't have the membership of the Rock Club. At least the males have nice tales.

Thanks for your tips. I got to write this article for the club. bob

Marvin Stukel

Last edited:
Marvin Stukel
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Marvin Stukel it is indeed [/FONT]
highfive.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Marvin Stukel it is indeed [/FONT]
highfive.gif

They are nice barreds. Glen Holgerson had fine Barreds and he probably did get them from Sturgeon. That is where mine came from when I had them. Ralph shipped out a lot of birds back in the day. The Sturgeon barred and white Rocks I had and the Brazelton buff Orps are birds that I should have never let go. I was up to 1500 birds at that time and I didn't think about not being able to replace them.

w.

Does anyone ship hatching eggs? I'm asking for a friend. She has tried Frank Reese himself with no response. Hoping she can find some of either the GS or Stukel line..

Shipping would be to NY. Anyone know where to direct me?

Back
Top Bottom