Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

I talked with Gene recently. He helps Marvin go through his birds, figuring out which to cull. Gene said if I can wait until January, then they'd be down to the better ones and he'd get me a male. I was thinking to cross into the Good Shepard Barred Rocks I have, to improve those. What do you think of that idea?

I wouldn't mix anything into Marvins birds.

w.

Here is a male I got from him in 2010 when he sent me eggs tails are good on mine . I wouldn't cross anything on them.

I was thinking to improve on the Good Shepard line's tails. What are the differences you see between these two lines (Marvin's and Good Shepard)?
I say yes you could cross the Stukel to the GS line to try to improve the GS tails, can't hurt a thing as I've said before "if its not there you got to go get it" but they are right on the no need to cross anything into the Stukel line it seems he has that issue ironed out already.

Both of the historys on these two lines originate back to the EB Thompson "ringlet" strain so you are not going off into "never never land" with this cross

Jeff

It seems to me there are only few breeds that the crossing of strains and such where it is one of the "cardinal sins in poultry breeding" is on the "Reds" why I don't know,(I guess one could breed his line into oblivion quickly by doing so) but too this is why they are hard to breed correctly also. Not too many other folk get all up in arms on crossing lines/strains as do the "red folks" IMO LOL

Last edited:
I was thinking to improve on the Good Shepard line's tails. What are the differences you see between these two lines (Marvin's and Good Shepard)?

If you have a BR line with good tails don't mix them.....if you have some BR with bad tails and want to improve them, then go for it. Bad tails are very common in barred Rocks ........both bantam and large fowl. They may all have the same background way back when, but they are different now........trust me.

Walt

If you have a BR line with good tails don't mix them.....if you have some BR with bad tails and want to improve them, then go for it. Bad tails are very common in barred Rocks ........both bantam and large fowl. They may all have the same background way back when, but they are different now........trust me.

Walt

Oh yes, I trust you
smile.png
. I was told about that other line when I got my Good Shepard chicks, but I was a complete newbie at show quality birds at the time, now I've graduated to novice
gig.gif
and was buying German New Hampshires and Reese RIRs from the breeder and I guess it was just easier at the time to get all the chicks from one source.

I say yes you could cross the Stukel to the GS line to try to improve the GS tails, can't hurt a thing as I've said before "if its not there you got to go get it" but they are right on the no need to cross anything into the Stukel line it seems he has that issue ironed out already.

Both of the historys on these two lines originate back to the EB Thompson "ringlet" strain so you are not going off into "never never land" with this cross

Jeff

It seems to me there are only few breeds that the crossing of strains and such where it is one of the "cardinal sins in poultry breeding" is on the "Reds" why I don't know,(I guess one could breed his line into oblivion quickly by doing so) but too this is why they are hard to breed correctly also. Not too many other folk get all up in arms on crossing lines/strains as do the "red folks" IMO LOL
goodpost.gif

Walt
Is it widely held that once a poultry breeder has bred a line for 3+ generations that it could then be considered their 'line' ?
Even though there may be plenty of breeders that started with GSBR's, they still will have been bred according to the breeder's selection/cull process an short/long term goals toward the SOP... And it depending on where they got their original GSBR breeders from, that adds a little more variation/diversity???

Back
Top Bottom