Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

I have two boys to make a descion on on. I think I have decided. Would love if someone else could share their knowledge. Who do you like better? and why if you do not mind sharing. They are about seven going on eight months old...

Cockerel #1

Cockerel #2
I'm liking the #2 bird too, though it is early to make a final decision. I like his breast, his stance, his tail angle, his wing set, overall balance just seems better than #1. Make sure he is not bullied and watch him go... You will be surprised I think....stan

Hi Jeff

I have one, he is a different line in my strain, not used him yet but he hatched the same day as the light in the other picture.
Comb needs improvement plus his shape needs some work but otherwise quite a nice boy.

Yeah I like that dark color too, it is different for sure. I think this maybe the color of some of the first Barred Rocks bred (just my opinion) from looking at some of the old B/W photos of way back when. I have one out of 5 GSBR boys that is darker than the others but is not of breeder quality unfortunately.

Jeff

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I have to admit I keep changing my mind about who I like best. The pictures might not show them the best either. Different lighting and of course they were standing differently. I was hoping to cull down some of my cockerels. I will hold on to them both longer still. At least they have not become hormonal roosters yet and are behaving well with my layer flock. I will give them a few more months. They are beautiful birds. I have more people notice them than any of my other birds. I keep telling everyone that they have allot of growing to do. I will keep lurking on a few of the Rock threads. I have quite a bit to learn yet.

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I have to admit I keep changing my mind about who I like best. The pictures might not show them the best either. Different lighting and of course they were standing differently. I was hoping to cull down some of my cockerels. I will hold on to them both longer still. At least they have not become hormonal roosters yet and are behaving well with my layer flock. I will give them a few more months. They are beautiful birds. I have more people notice them than any of my other birds. I keep telling everyone that they have allot of growing to do. I will keep lurking on a few of the Rock threads. I have quite a bit to learn yet.
I think if you will put those boys in a grow-out pen and feed them all the good high protein feed they want and not layer feed, something more like a game bird feed you will see drastic improvement in them too. Read what Stan(tigercreek) said "not to let them be bullied around" this is what he means so they can get to eat and grow out. Even the hens will push them around too much at this age(non hormonal yet) for them to get all they need much less the proper diet these type Barred Rocks need a high protein diet to grow out on. They have a massive structure that has to be built up first to support their size when full grown hence their slow growing or lankiness for such a time. I figured this out when I separated my 2(culls) out from the same pen as their other siblings they took off, they were being starved down was their problem, not a genetic cull, just a dominance(immature) low status pecking order problem. They are as good and as I mentioned better than the #1 I picked from the start. Just my opinion only don't take it as the full gospel, LOL just a wee bit of experience I found out for myself.

Jeff

Thank you for the advice. I do not feed my layer girls layer feed all my birds are fed the same food. They have a lot of room and quite a few different feeders so from what I have seen my Rocks are having no problem getting plenty of food. I check them every night when they are roosting. Their crops are packed full. I watch my flock for bulling and if I see it I separate as needed. My layer flock also has juveniles and broodies. The head roster keeps everyone in line and is very tolerant of young cockerels. He does teach them manners. I wish I could let the Rocks out to free range. I have had a coyote problem and I have not been free ranging for some time now. I would just love to see them out on the farm. Someday.

Here is an up to date photo of my boy. I showed him in November and he won 1st & BB. My boy is very friendly and social. He is almost a year old and I haven't seen him touch a hen. This slow maturing thing is so new to me. Lol He is such a gentle giant.

Having had Wyandottes, Golden Sex-Links, Dominiques, and Barred Rocks, I favor the temperment of the Barred Rocks. Unfortunately, the ones I've had were short lived. Some have been poor egg producers, one died from Oviduct cancer according to a postmortem exam , and one showed signs of what is called Egg Drop Syndrome. I lost one this morning less than 3 years old which in just 2 days, became lethargic, excreted white, liquid diarrhea. I suspect Cholera or Cocci from an area of stagnant water from rain water drainage through my pasture. I'm now limiting range time since they have a very spacious pen and coop anyway. I would like to find a good source for healthy production Barred Rock genes

I've been following this thread with interest. We have/have had show quality hens in Orpingtons, Favorelles and Brahmas. I have noticed quite a difference in personalities of show quality v. hatchery quality. We love the body types of show quality birds, but the hatchery quality are by far the friendlier. The show quality birds we have had stand around in the hen house or near it. They are broody frequently and rarely like contact. We jokingly refer to them as our boneless chickens (Gary Larson comic) as they do so little. Our hatchery quality birds follow us around talking, run the pasture and yard and allow us to pick them up. We sit out on our patio and watch their antics. We would have to drag our lawn chairs to the chicken coop and then sit for hours to see anything of note out of our big show quality girls.

Please don't take offense. I honestly would like to know if anyone else notices this, and if so, I would like an explanation.

We are getting ready to buy some new chickens to replace old hens (most chickens on this farm dies of old age:) and we would like good quality birds as we have to stare at them for years, however, we would like personable chickens. We are interested in the Barred Rocks (and a couple other breeds) because of the hatchery quality personalities we have had, but are there lines of quality birds we want to avoid or gravitate toward because of personalities? We enjoy being able to go out, pick up a hen, scruff her under the chin and put her down. I thought this might be where I could jump in and ask as the personality thing has come up on this thread.

My GSBRs are very rambunctious<(not flighty by any means) and forage wide and far(busy birds) but the girls art too standoffish for a quick scruff under the neck or a walk by and pickup for a lovey-dovey, LOL. The boys they will stand around you and not get all sideways, but they are not lap chickens by any means either. My German New Hampshires and "real"RIRs are the more people tolerant friendlier types, more apt to be trained to be "coddle toys", LOL

Jeff

My GSBR are calmer birds that I can walk amongst, but do not want to be picked up. They will eat scratch from my hand. The lone cockerel is crowing and mating since about 6-7 months, and at almost 8 months has not been aggressive. (Overall he's the quietest guy I've ever kept.) I've made no attempt to make pets of them. Unlike some of my chickens that run to the coop when I toss food in the pen, the Rocks run to it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom