Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Mrs Magoo,

Thanks for the heads up with Rocks as well. I did speak with Mr. Reese. Real decent guy to talk poultry with. Dirt Farmer, what part of Cailfornia are you in??? I believe the show this weekend should be around 3800 birds in Stockton. Should be fun and packed with quality birds.

Chris.
I'm an hour and a half out of Stockton. Will be leaving in about two hours with camera in hand. Since this year it is the ABA National, I think it will be a packed house. Looking forward to pushing my way through the sales building. I wish they would find a larger room.

Would LOVE to see photos from the show, if you get a chance to post some. Enjoy!!
tongue.png

No chicks???? It has prices for chicks????? Better get on the eggs then ASAP. They take so darn long to grow I need to get them going.....

Could it be he does not SHIP chicks? They guy that posted that lives close to him and could pick them up.

Jeremy will ship chicks...they were $10 each with a 10 chick minimum order plus shipping when I checked in November.

As to Good Shepherd...During my email exchanges with Frank, he said that he does not ship chicks. He had someone that would do it and would redirect me to them. I didn't want to buy a big order of chicks right now though: My brooders are full at the moment, so waiting on eggs to come then hatch would allow me to move the chicks out to the juvenile coops. I know hatching eggs are riskier, but even if I only get 3-4 birds from a dozen eggs... I'll be happy so long as I get one of each sex so I have something to work with.

I am also getting some eggs from Jeremy (JWhip) later this spring, and some chicks out of Jeremy's stock from Chris Herzog locally. Hopefully, by the end of the year I'll have a pretty decent flock. Maybe I'll save my pennies and spring for some eggs from Skyline too if I can catch an auction that goes for under $175....ouch.

Last edited:
I just bought a heritage BR rooster about a week and a half ago, and already have regular production BR hens. Have them all in the same yard right now trying to get a good hatch run. If this rooster breeds the hens, the chicks should turn out a good size? I am not intrested in so much of how they look, just want to keep a good BR straight run breed. Already have two RIR roosters which have bred the BR hen and gave me some black sexlinked chicks.

My boy will be 1 year old next month and today I walked up to his run and there he was just standing his huge self on my production red hen. I think I caught him in the act. Lol FINALLY!!!! I am going to hatch some eggs from my standard BR hen and see what I get....until I can find some girls for him.

Would LOVE to see photos from the show, if you get a chance to post some. Enjoy!!
tongue.png
There were only 4 LF BR at the show and they disappeared before I came back to snap a photo. Below is a Bantam Cock (Durgin) and Pullet (not sure, apologies). I switched cars at the last minute and left my camera behind. Had to settle for a phone.

You can click on the picture to enlarge it.

Back
Top Bottom