Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Hey all,

I went back about 15 pages and read forward. Reading a few lines on cracked eggs from this source has me a bit anxious and thinking I should have ordered an extra dozen but I've got my order in so will give a go with what's coming for Easter hatch.

For those that ordered chicks from Good Shepherd what have been your hatch rates? My personal experience with shipped eggs has been abysmal. Chalked it up to the route taken as all three shipments came up the East coast to me so am giving one last go at it from the West.

Mine started hatching this morning. I put 7 Barred Rocks and 9 Good Shepherd Cornish in for lock down. Out of those about 3 BR and 2 Cornish were marked as questionable. I didn't see any movement when candling (use a 900 lumen LED light), but did have some small movements when I float tested them.

So far, two Barred Rocks and two Cornish have made it out of their shells, with multiple other eggs pipped. As per recommendations, all the eggs were put into the bottom of cartons to stand up while hatching.

I will give a post hatch breakdown after they are all done: Probably sometime tomorrow.

Mine started hatching this morning. I put 7 Barred Rocks and 9 Good Shepherd Cornish in for lock down. Out of those about 3 BR and 2 Cornish were marked as questionable. I didn't see any movement when candling (use a 900 lumen LED light), but did have some small movements when I float tested them.

So far, two Barred Rocks and two Cornish have made it out of their shells, with multiple other eggs pipped. As per recommendations, all the eggs were put into the bottom of cartons to stand up while hatching.

I will give a post hatch breakdown after they are all done: Probably sometime tomorrow.
Looking forward to hearing about your hatch experience and pics if possible!

Looking forward to hearing about your hatch experience and pics if possible!

They are still working on hatching. I have had 4 Barred Rocks hatch so far with another egg pipped. Six of the Cornish eggs have hatched at this point and I had one die in the shell (fully formed no internal pip).
I can't open the incubator to check the remaining eggs yet though: I have 3 duck eggs pipped and in the process of zipping in addition to the Barred Rock. By tomorrow morning I should hopefully be able to get in there and check the remaining eggs. Photos and a final report should be posted either tomorrow evening or Monday morning.

Last edited:
Still no word on my GSBR eggs
barnie.gif
Maybe next week. I know they got hit with another storm maybe next week will be a better week to ship. It is ALL good sine I need to candle some eggs to make room
hide.gif

Okay...my hatch is all over and done with. I had 6 Barred Rocks hatch, but one didn't make it...so have 5. I also have 5 Cornish as well as 3 German New Hampshires from shipped eggs. Here are a couple group shots: I will pull the BR out and try to get individual pictures tomorrow.
Oh, and yes, their are a couple ducklings in there with them: Four ducklings to be exact!

Congrats and thanks for posting pics!! How many eggs of each did you start with from GS??
nice mix of heritage chicks too...of course the ducks are a bonus---looking forward to individual pics when you get a chance.
smile.png

Okay...my hatch is all over and done with. I had 6 Barred Rocks hatch, but one didn't make it...so have 5. I also have 5 Cornish as well as 3 German New Hampshires from shipped eggs. Here are a couple group shots: I will pull the BR out and try to get individual pictures tomorrow.
Oh, and yes, their are a couple ducklings in there with them: Four ducklings to be exact!

Super cute!

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom