Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Got my eggs! 2 were broken but i got plenty in good shape. He packed mine in styrofoam shippers and an egg carton. The one doz in the carton was not even wrapped but faired just fine. The ones in styrofoam were broken.

How is the egg production with these guys? I've been wanting to start a flock of them and my egg production is dismal with my current bunch of layers. I'm thinking of starting over with a new bunch but I want to sell at the farmers market so I need a heritage breed with good production.

How is the egg production with these guys? I've been wanting to start a flock of them and my egg production is dismal with my current bunch of layers. I'm thinking of starting over with a new bunch but I want to sell at the farmers market so I need a heritage breed with good production.
My GSBR's aren't bad but my Mohawk-RIR's do really well. Nice big eggs to!

Chris

Lucky you to have any hatch. Out of the 12 GSBR eggs I received from Frank 1 was broken so 11 were set. I had 5 make it to lockdown, and like yours, they seemed weak. None of them hatched.
I was having problems hatching my own GS eggs when someone suggested I try hatching them in the carton. Since then, 100% of the eggs that make it to lock down have hatched. Just some food for thought.

Chris

Only had 3 chicks hatch from the 2 dozen eggs I got from Frank Reese.
Don't tell me that! I just putt 4 doz eggs in the bator
fl.gif

I was having problems hatching my own GS eggs when someone suggested I try hatching them in the carton. Since then, 100% of the eggs that make it to lock down have hatched. Just some food for thought.

Chris

Chris, I read that suggestion earlier and thought I didn't need to do that---my first hatch of 6 all came out fine. But my hatch yesterday was terrible, only 4 out of 10 hatched and most that didn't hatch were almost fully formed in the shell. I am going to try hatching upright in a carton next hatch. I hope it works! I'm not having problems with any of the other breeds hatching on their side, what's up with the Barred Rocks?

Back
Top Bottom