Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

I came home with a trophy yesterday! One of my GSBR males won Champion Large Fowl at our local poultry club Lawn Show. Now I have to say, there weren't a huge number of large fowl there--around 25 to 30---but still, he was the one that won!

On a sadder note, 2 of my GSBR eggs from this last hatch did not pip in the upright position. When I opened them up, they were fully formed, huge chicks, but they didn't even pip. Rats! I thought my problems with hatching these was all solved by hatching upright in the egg cartons. Out of 42 eggs set this time (6 different breeds), those were the only ones that didn't hatch.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Any photos???????????

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Any photos???????????

Will try, but I've been too busy to take photos, download, etc. with all the chicks hatching, birds to care for, yard work, pruning, watering etc etc the list just goes on and on this time of year. I can't keep up!

Just had my first hatch of GSBR and it went better than I dared hope for. I ordered three dozen eggs from Frank Reese and when they arrived it looked like they had been drop kicked most of the way to Florida. When I opened the box I found liquid egg everywhere, one dozen were broken and two eggs were badly cracked and he had packed them very well. Upon candling them all the rest had detached air cells. I cleaned them up as best I could and let them rest over night and then put them in the incubator in cartons. At the last candling two eggs were infertile so that left me with 20 viable eggs. They started hatching yesterday and when I opened the incubator this morning I had 16 chicks. That's a real testament to Mr. Reese's management practices and the vitality of his birds.

Ripster

Congrats on the hatch!!

Good Shepherd rocks pretty much ROCK!!

Would love to see some pics of those little Rocks, if you get a chance....never tire of the GSBR 'eye candy'
wink.png

Mine started hatching too. I got 4 doz eggs from Frank Reese and 25-26 made it to lockdown. 3 where out yesterday and 6-8 had pipped when I left. My hatcher was running a little cool so they are a little behind. I will update when they all get hatched. SUPER EXCITED! I have one lone GSBR Roo so It will be nice to have a WHOLE Flock of them.
celebrate.gif

I got 3 dozen eggs from Frank. Last weekend hatched out 24 chicks. Lost 2 after hatch (one got trampled in the incubator, one had deformities), so 22 left. Only 2 eggs that made it to lockdown failed to hatch. (I also hatched some eggs from my own flock, and I don't have many pics of just the GSBR alone - but I'm sure you can pick them out. LOL)

Last edited:
So far I have 11 GSBR chicks out of 3.5 doz eggs set. I will leave the other eggs in for a few more days since my hatcher was running cool. I have more eggs going into lockdown tomorrow so not a problem leaving them in. I only saw 1 that looked like a roo for sure. Do the head spots hold true for this line too or is it just a guessing game?
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom