Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

do they taste good when eaten? Frank said they where breed to be good eating. bob

Bob, they taste great, but I haven't eaten a home grown chicken that doesn't taste great, compared to the store-bought Cornish crosses.
I never buy a dish with chicken in it when we go out to eat anymore, why bother, when we have so many tasty home grown birds. Has anybody done a blind heritage chicken taste test like they did with heritage turkeys a while back?
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/turkey-taste-test.aspx#axzz2g8Tajih6

GM all, hey Bob could you give me a little of the history behind the Duckworth line of Barreds? just picked up some nice younger birds and they are massive for their age I will try and get some pics up soon.

GM all, hey Bob could you give me a little of the history behind the Duckworth line of Barreds? just picked up some nice younger birds and they are massive for their age I will try and get some pics up soon.
He got some chicks from Tom Wheeler which had barred Rock and White Rock blood crossed in many years before and some from Joel Gilman the old Tommy Stanley line. He crossed the three strains culled hard and has a great male line with good looking tails. He does not show but is a master of the Hogan method of selection. Great strain I rate them in the top three.

Hogan's book, The Call of the Hen, is online. Google books I think. It a great, classic read. Easy to find, but maybe I can find the link.

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Best Barred Rock at the National Plymouth Rock Show owned and Bred by XW Poultry Ranch

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom