Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Oh, thank you.

Cyn I found this info on crossing EB Thompson line... Ones form Jeremy.

Kathy said:

Bob,
This is something I just don't understand. Could you help me out here? Why would you keep adding new blood to a flock that is already doing well ? Is that even important? I thought it was best to stay with what you have, if they are of quality.

For example, the Barred Rocks I got .... I have no intention of crossing them with anything else. There will be no added blood lines.

Bob (Robert Blosl) Said...
Kathy do not cross any barred rocks to the three trios that you got from Nebraska. If you do the Gods from Plymouth Rock heven will strike lighting onto your incubator. If you ever need to cross new blood you go back to Frank or Jerimie in Nebraska. If you out cross this line you will loose everything that has been built over the last fifty years. Stay with what you have and just try to tie a not on the end of the rope and hang on to what you got. Thats for your stain of Barred Rocks. I have always wanted to get a good strain and build it up or in the case of the Mowhawk Large Fowl Reds just try to keep from going backwards.. bob

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyn, I guess this would go for yours too?
idunno.gif
But you don't have pullets, so I'm not sure. I just picked this up and thought I'd share. When I read it I thought of what you were doing.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ultimately the choice on what to breed to whom is yours to make as you will have a better first hand experience and feel for the birds. If everyone followed the same path we would not have the diversity of stock and breeds we have today and in many cases it is those proclaimed hobbyists that have saved some breeds from totally disappearing.

Now to the question of breeder or not. Realistically anyone who works with their birds trying to improve on what they have can be classed as a breeder.

The difference between yourself and others is that you choose to work quietly because it is something you enjoy rather than focus on building a name and fluffing your tail feathers.

Quote:
Hi Jeremy. Have pictures with ya?

Hey, Nick I need to get some new pictures but the hens and pullets and in there working clothes. I have a few males that look ok they just need more time.

Hi, I just found this thread. I got my br girls from a farm here in Oklahoma. He raised br, bo and Ameraucanas (real ones lol)

My girls seem kind of fat. Is that how they are supposed to be, or am I feeding them too much lol. They dwarf my dark cornish and easter egger. They are huge! One of the girls consistantly lays a double yoker (she just started laying this month. ) They are only 6 months old.

What do you think? Oh and one of them has light brown flecks around the neck area. Is that a flaw or is that normal. We are not showing or breeding, just curious.

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0007-3.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

Quote:
Hi Jeremy. Have pictures with ya?

Hey, Nick I need to get some new pictures but the hens and pullets and in there working clothes. I have a few males that look ok they just need more time.

Great. I like the ones I have seen. Do you know how to post them? If not I can do that for you if you email them to me.

I don't think I'll be staying in this thread, as this is where most of the more experienced people are. Just wanted to stop in for a few posts and ask a question (which is if the EB Thompson line goes broody, as he only used broodies...). Would love an answer if anyone has one.

Will be back though to look at or post some of your photos. I love them! Enjoy your beautiful Rocks everyone.

Nick

Last edited:
Pam's Little Farm :

Are these birds docile, the EB Thompson line?

Pam

Docile? Well, I don't know that they were meant to be pets especially. They are just normal chickens. I suppose it would make a difference in the way you raise them. They are not flighty, no. I have had no aggression in mine, but then that isn't particular to a breed or a strain. That just happens sometimes, I believe. I just know mine love to forage and free range. I just love mine!​

Quote:
Docile? Well, I don't know that they were meant to be pets especially. They are just normal chickens. I suppose it would make a difference in the way you raise them. They are not flighty, no. I have had no aggression in mine, but then that isn't particular to a breed or a strain. That just happens sometimes, I believe. I just know mine love to forage and free range. I just love mine!

Well, I meant... Do they let you hold them, or do you have to chase them around? Will they eat out of your hand? I just don't like birds that are afraid of me, is all.

Pam's Little Farm :

Quote:
Docile? Well, I don't know that they were meant to be pets especially. They are just normal chickens. I suppose it would make a difference in the way you raise them. They are not flighty, no. I have had no aggression in mine, but then that isn't particular to a breed or a strain. That just happens sometimes, I believe. I just know mine love to forage and free range. I just love mine!

Well, I meant... Do they let you hold them, or do you have to chase them around? Will they eat out of your hand? I just don't like birds that are afraid of me, is all.​

Well, I don't really hold mine.
idunno.gif
When I dust them I have no problem with them. Yes, they would eat out of my hand if I had treats. Of course almost all my chickens will though. For example, today I was outside with a cookie in my hand and suddenly I had about 20 new best friends.
lol.png
I sat down at the picnic table and they ALL came over and took a bite of the cookie, and I had to go get another one.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom