Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Quote:
Scott,
I for one enjoy the pics. I hope it might help me learn to see what is typy. Please keep them coming. Commentary would be very helpful to me too! What is it about the pullet that you like so much?? She looks wide and broad thru the breast in the pics, and looks to me to have good, wider barring than the other lines? But maybe not as crisp as some of your other pullets?? I'm still trying to figure out what I'm looking for. ..........stan

Stan....first, please don't consider me an expert by any means as I am trying to learn and get my head around things too! For what its worth, here is what I see in that youngest pullet

1. Long straight, wide back

2. Well spread tail (not pinched)

3. Deep rounded chest that extends well below/between her legs

4. Stout, yellow legs

5. Wide head

I have been told "do not worry about color"!! Which is why you don't see me mention it here. I've been told to work with good lines that have the proper coloring, but, to work on TYPE first. After the type is set/fixed, then you focus on color

Hope that helps

Scott

Scott,
Thanks for those pointers. I saw a lot of those qualities in your pullet, but did not see the long back because of the photo angle. I did not know to look for the wide head and the breast width extending through the legs. I'll have to go re-evaulate mine now! ........stan

Quote:
I have some from Kathy.
My cockeral at about 15 weeks old. Still hasn't gotten his tail feathers yet and every bit as heavy as my one year old Delaware. I need to get some recent pics of the girls.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/27698_100_5235.jpg

Is that a pink zip tie one the leg?? Just noticed it. I had a problem with one of my chicks that grew into one of those plastic wrap around markers. I did not realize that they did not expand as the leg grew untill it was pretty tight. Lesson learned, now I am afraid of putting them on except for the really big sloppy ones. ............stan

Yard full o' rocks :

Quote:
Do you have a copy of the SOP? If not, get one and study it. It is a great reference book and I find myself looking at it over and over again

I do not have a copy. I know I need to get one, and join the Rock breeders club. Thanks for the reminder, that's one of those things I 'keep meaning to do later'. ....stan​

Quote:
There is a pullet up front with a long back see her? If there was anything I would like to see in this strain is a little more lenth of body in the female.

Reason when these females grow up to eightteen months of age and molt back in that is when you compair them to the standard of perfection picture in the apa standard.

When Schilinng use to go to the shows and teach new folks about their chickens he always stressed these pictures that I painted for the standard of perfection are not ckls and pullets.

If you are not carefull your hens and cock bird will be shorter in body and you will have females that will have a wyandotte lenth of body.

Do not kill a good pullet that you have raised because of what I am telling you. Its just a long range goal you need to work on.

Next color. Beginners do not need to worry about color the firest year or two. These birds have very good color and you can work on that after you figure how to breed for type.

Keep up the good work I have about twenty barreds from Nebraska about twenty miles from me to look at. bob

I see what you are talking about. This:

72957_img_3747.jpg

Compared to this??? :

72957_img_3750.jpg

..........stan

Quote:
I can't say for the Doms, I've never been around any really, but these Rocks are fairly large, males around 10 pounds. This line is not a get in your face. Mine are glad to come when called. They do expect trreats though. Not aggressive at all, any of them. I think that is a trait of the breed and this line also. I do have a couplpe of birds from Halo's line of Blue/Black/Splash Rocks that are 'get in your lap ' personalitys! My Buddy loves to be picked up and petted. The others, my barreds, don't want to be picked up, but are not skittish or aggressive in any way if that is what you are asking.......stan

I need to get some pictures. Most of mine spend their time foraging in the timber, and taking refuge from this 100+ degree heat wave we have had for over a month. Knock on wood, I have not lost one yet from the heat.

Back
Top Bottom