Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Quote:
AGREE, but are the ones that lay earlier and often of the same age/breed/conditions may the ones we should
be keeping/breeding
hu.gif
. I think so, but am not sure. Maybe the later layers will be better ultimately
for size and productivity...?

Observations and good record keeping will help us here. Am watching mine as with all my breeds for
lay rate/egg size and productivity. This is of prime importance, I think. I have many that need work on
color or type....but above all I want layers of early good sized eggs...

All other things and SOP quality being equal...it is about the eggs and productivity I think
hu.gif

Quote:
AGREE, but are the ones that lay earlier and often of the same age/breed/conditions may the ones we should
be keeping/breeding
hu.gif

Observations and good record keeping will help us here. Am watching mine as with all my breeds for
lay rate/egg size and productivity. This is of prime importance, I think. I have many that need work on

All other things and SOP quality being equal...it is about the eggs and productivity I think
hu.gif

I pretty much agree with what you are saying. My brain agrees, but my heart says no. We mostly keep chickens for the eggs, but if it was all about the eggs, we would all have leghorns, or red sex-links. For me, there needs to be a balance between likable birds, and utility birds. I will sacrafice some eggs for a pretty, calm, personable flock, but you did say "all other things and SOP being equal". I also think that a slower maturing bird will have fewer health problems? .....stan

Quote:
be keeping/breeding
hu.gif

hu.gif

I pretty much agree with what you are saying. My brain agrees, but my heart says no. We mostly keep chickens for the eggs, but if it was all about the eggs, we would all have leghorns, or red sex-links. For me, there needs to be a balance between likable birds, and utility birds. I will sacrafice some eggs for a pretty, calm, personable flock, but you did say "all other things and SOP being equal". I also think that a slower maturing bird will have fewer health problems? .....stan

Being dual purpouse birds, they should be both good layers and have a meaty frame. Ofcourse they should be selected to be good layers. Also point of lay should be a consideration when selecting your "keepers". I also think it would be a mistake to compare their lay rate or point of lay with other strains and breeds. These things should be improved within what you have. Plymouth Rocks were popular in the past because they were useful. It is not just the seen traits, but also the unseen traits that they should be selected for.
I do not believe that this strain is or should be fast to mature (compared to modern production strains), however. They are supposed to be slow to feather out, and it seams to me that with the big bodies that they have you want them to have time to put on a strong frame. Early POL like 20 and 22 wks would be unreasonable for these birds, I think. I am not saying that improvements shouldn't be made in individual flocks though.
I wonder what the original breeder of these birds was seeing in his flock. I think that would give us an idea for what to shoot for in this strain. Though this strain requires some patience, I am extremely excited about being fortunate enough to get a few. I think they will make an excellent dual purpouse small flock.

OH WOW!!!!
My trio of Barred Rocks from Jeremy came in this morning and they are exactly what I expected. Gosh, the pullets are already as big as any of my older hens except the Light and Cornation Sussex. The roo is extremely nice and bigger than my Black and Blue Copper Marans roos. My birthday is tomorrow so these could not have come at a better time. Will post some pics in a day or so. Our weather is terrible.

Back
Top Bottom