Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

I have had hatchery barred rocks in the past, they were friendly, lovely hens that only laid medium sized eggs. Do the good shepard rocks lay a better size egg?
I want a truly sustainable dual purpose breed for our farm. I have dabbled in several varieties and haven't been happy with them. I am looking seriously at these birds and RC RIR's. I know we will process some culls and want a good tasting bird for our efforts.

Quote:
Wow. I have a hatchery barred rock that I adopted because my neighbor didn't have a way to keep her secure and she was unable to get up on the barn rafters. I guess she must be rewarding me because I get a extra large egg almost daily!

I have always got some extra large double yoked eggs from the barred rocks I've had. I can't say about this line, but hopefully I can by fall.

Mine from this line started out small but after a couple of months they are decent size and a few have been
large enough that I thought they might be double yolk but they were not.

Quote:
This is interesting because I thought I'd like to get another barred rock because of the size eggs I get - xl not double yolk. I just assumed all barred rocks lay.. xl eggs. I have one EE that lays a medium green egg. She's a ham that's why I keep her! I certainly am learning a lot from you all!

OMGosh, that is a GREAT picture! He looks fabulous!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom