Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_woeppelbarredrocksseptember2010009.jpg

look at this picture of a male Jermey used for breeding and many of you got eggs from him. My question look at his tail it is very good did any of you get males with'
tails like this from the eggs you got.??? If so could you take a picture of them for us to look at? This is the tail you want to try to fix onto this line
If you get a male like this you may take two of his daughters that have great type and lenth of body and mate back to this male. Then the next year take again the two best females with the best tails and mate back to the old male again. Once you end up seeing many of your males with this style of fully furnished tail exchange some eggs with each other and then cross in to your line.
If two or three of you do this I think in three to five years you will all have good lenth of bodyand good tails on your males. The reason I am telling you this is Barred Rock males dont have very good tails and that is why most of the time the females win at the shows. Just something to think about. Jermey do you have many males out of this male? Do they have a tail like this male?

Look forward to your relplys. bob

if some one can make this picture show up on this message please let me know. I can not get my photo bucket pictures to show up on this site like I use to. bob

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_woeppelbarredrocksseptember2010009.jpg

look at this picture of a male Jermey used for breeding and many of you got eggs from him. My question look at his tail it is very good did any of you get males with'
tails like this from the eggs you got.??? If so could you take a picture of them for us to look at? This is the tail you want to try to fix onto this line
If you get a male like this you may take two of his daughters that have great type and lenth of body and mate back to this male. Then the next year take again the two best females with the best tails and mate back to the old male again. Once you end up seeing many of your males with this style of fully furnished tail exchange some eggs with each other and then cross in to your line.
If two or three of you do this I think in three to five years you will all have good lenth of bodyand good tails on your males. The reason I am telling you this is Barred Rock males dont have very good tails and that is why most of the time the females win at the shows. Just something to think about. Jermey do you have many males out of this male? Do they have a tail like this male?

Look forward to your relplys. bob

if some one can make this picture show up on this message please let me know. I can not get my photo bucket pictures to show up on this site like I use to. bob

What are you looking at Mr.Blosl? Is it the set, feathering, apparent thickness across the back, depth or length of back?? .. stan

Why does it seem like all the males that I see pictures of all have horizontal tails? It is virtually impossible to find a picture of a rooster with a 30 degree above horizontal tail, as described in the SOP. Hatchery barreds seem to have tails that are too high, sometimes even to the point of being squirrel tails. The show lines appear to go in the opposite direction; nearly horizontal. This is a photo taken from the Plymouth Rock Club photo directory, showing, I presume, a rooster from the early 1900's. Is this not the classic "gravy bowl" shape that we should be striving for? Or not?

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z475/sgribble73/009.jpg

Here is a male that does not have much in the area of main tail feathes. Many of this line of males have fair to poor tails. In my line of white rock large fowl my males have thich wide main tail feathers. Much like my females with thier tee pee looking tails then they have a flow of lesser sickles then finished off with main sickles this is what you call a fully furnished tail. I think the barring gene screws up these tails on these barreds. The more the barring is straight or to the delight of the standard the harder it is to get these males tails fully furnished. Halo you had a picture I saw a while back that looked like this male. Do you still have a picture of your male.? bob

Last edited:
Bob, I dont have any barreds yet. Perhaps you are thinking of Cynthia (speckledhen)? She had a pretty spectacular rooster that Scott now owns.

Back
Top Bottom