Barred rooster over solid hen

ThePotterChooks

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2018
Hey guys.
I’ve been doing a bit of a project with my Barred Rock rooster over my solid black araucana hen.
In the past I’ve paired her with a blue Araucana rooster and one of the chicks from them ended up lavender, so she *may* carry Lavender (unsure if it was the rooster!) too.
All the chicks I’ve been getting from the BR/Ara have expectedly been Barred. I have another hatch happening right now and one of the chicks has just come out yellow with a few black spots? It’s literally just hatched so I haven’t seen it all dried out yet.
Wondering what the deal might be there?? I was fully expecting all chicks to be barred. I have pure BR and the BR/Ara crosses hatching, so still a few more of the coloured eggs to hatch. So far all of them have hatched black with a white head spot, as expected.
So, what can I expect from this yellow chick?? I’m still new to genetics so I’m not sure. I was under the impression a barred rooster will always throw barred chicks unless bred to dominant white which she definitely is not.

Pics of the dried chicks will help alot

They are all still currently in the incubator, but this is the best I managed to get so far. The incubator is far more full now so no chance of getting a clear shot until I transfer them to the brooder.

But, aside from this one yellow chick, they all look as expected - black with a white headspot! There’s over 20 chicks in there and only one little yellow.
8AFA1D2A-AA73-4A05-977C-B3B47DDA34E5.jpeg

Wow, very strange indeed! before the pics I would have said that maybe wheaten eWh/eWh from two Heterozygote parents, but it seems quite different that a wheaten chick. seems like it will have Black/Barred feathers

Hey guys.
I’ve been doing a bit of a project with my Barred Rock rooster over my solid black araucana hen.
In the past I’ve paired her with a blue Araucana rooster and one of the chicks from them ended up lavender, so she *may* carry Lavender (unsure if it was the rooster!) too.
All the chicks I’ve been getting from the BR/Ara have expectedly been Barred. I have another hatch happening right now and one of the chicks has just come out yellow with a few black spots? It’s literally just hatched so I haven’t seen it all dried out yet.
Wondering what the deal might be there?? I was fully expecting all chicks to be barred. I have pure BR and the BR/Ara crosses hatching, so still a few more of the coloured eggs to hatch. So far all of them have hatched black with a white head spot, as expected.
So, what can I expect from this yellow chick?? I’m still new to genetics so I’m not sure. I was under the impression a barred rooster will always throw barred chicks unless bred to dominant white which she definitely is not.
I have a question. I just bred a double barred Legbar rooster to a true black Ameraucana hen. I have a black chick with a large white spot on the head and some barring showing. Does this white spot on the head indicate a male (sex link)? Thanks

Attachments

• 2EC0569B-BCDF-4788-9454-BD2EEB62C02A.jpeg
    2EC0569B-BCDF-4788-9454-BD2EEB62C02A.jpeg
    598.7 KB · Views: 6
I have a question. I just bred a double barred Legbar rooster to a true black Ameraucana hen. I have a black chick with a large white spot on the head and some barring showing. Does this white spot on the head indicate a male (sex link)? Thanks
No. All offspring of a double barred rooster will have one copy of the barring gene.

Back
Top Bottom