Barred Turken Project

PippyChicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 2, 2009
AL
I have seen pictures of barred turkens and I want to start a new project! I need help though! What do I need BR roo or hen? Turken roo or hen? And what color? Do I need to get a barred turken or can I try and get them on my own with a solid colored turken I have a BR roo and a black turken hen. Will that work or what do I need? I'm a newbie at breeding and this is just a project..

Quote:
The BR roo on the Black hen will be the best way to go, using a homo. barred roo in the first cross will give you all barred chicks in the first cross and I think the naked neck gene would give all naked necks as well so you get what you are wanting in first cross, but the male chicks will be het. barred and that will reduce the number of barred chicks in the next cross of either back to the black hens or two the barred hens. And remember barring doesnt hide in black birds so if a bird is not showing barring, its not carringing it unless its being masked by dominant or recessive white.

Thank you so much! I will work on it later because the hen should be close to laying. I will post pictures later of both of them and tell me what you think please.

im over run with barred turken! as soon as i sell them more is hatching

ill get ya some pics
smile.png

I think my black turken hen is in with my barred flock at the moment... if I was collecting eggs regularly right now, they would be a great addition to your project... Right now my hens are about twenty miles from home... ohh welll

Plus, it is the olive egger pen, so you would get some barred turken EE's in there too, about fifty fifty

Last edited:
Sorry everyone! I didn't know anyone else had posted in this thread! I'm real excited about it!

solarquail-Okay sounds good!

onthespot-I would like to see some pics of yours! As soon as my girl starts laying them I'll put her in a pen with the barred rock roo.

Hi Pippy! It'll be a fun project!
I have barred Naked Neck youngsters here from a black Naked Neck green-egger hen {[Ameraucana x (Silkie x Naked Neck)] X Jersey Giant} crossed with Blue Barred Rock. Mine are hatching blue, black, barred, and blue barred, half are Naked Neck and half are feather neck.
7710052.jpg

7710056.jpg
7710053.jpg

They've all hatched so far with a pea-type comb, so I expect a good % of them to be green-eggers.

Good luck and have fun!
smile.png

Lisa

Hello, Pippychicken. I got the same project going that you have. I LOVE the barred color on turkens. It's a shame you hardly ever see any pictures of them. I too have a barred rock roo and a black turken hen. The "Barred Rock" Rooster is of horrible quality though, he's more of a sex-link. He is heterozygous for barring (B/b+). And the turken hen is heterozygous for naked neck (Na/ na+) So theoretically, barring should be 50/50, and naked neck should be 50/50. Well, after 21 days and an absolutely horrible hatch, the results were in-

2 chicks hatched.

1 was barred and naked.

1 was solid black with neck feathers.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. Cameras broken.
barnie.gif

I will try to get some though.

But over all, the theory proved correct so far. Now I'm waiting two more weeks for another hatch.
The single barred turken that I have is about 4 weeks old now. Well just see how the barring turns out!
Maybe if I improve the barring, we could swap some eggs from our bloodlines.

Here are some cool links:

Chicken calculator http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

One really nice barred turken! http://www.bayshorekennel.com/farm_poultry/
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I love the color too! It looks so interesting! My roo lost all his tail feathers so now he looks all funky

i would like to swap eggs my hen is not laying yet!
sad.png
When she does I will start the project

My hen has no feathers on her neck at all so thats a good thing

Oh those barred turkens are really pretty!

Back
Top Bottom