Bavis still not well

Bean789

Songster
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Spring Hill, FL
In an earlier post in another section, I commented about our little Bavis, a buff brahma bantam, who is now 5 weeks old. For approximately 3 weeks now, she is having trouble getting her poop out. She strains, and strains, and screeches each time and sometimes it comes out and sometimes not. Her vent is swollen and red, and 'pulsates' constantly, like she is trying to poop.

It is not pasty butt and it doesn't seem to be contagious. She is in a brooder with 7 sisters. We have tried the one time Epsom salt method, natural yogurt method, plenty of water 'forced' down her, and have treated her with Tetracycline we got from the feed store.

We were thinking a bad case of vent gleet, due to the clear/murky discharge and feathers compacted from the fluids, and used the recommended methods to treat her for that. She went to the vet and he rubbed her tummy, and massaged her belly/chest area and OMG (my daughter's words, she took her to the vet) at the stuff that came out of her. Since then, she seemed to be going better especially after the epsom salt (1 time treatment) and then yogurt diet for a few days. Then came the antibiotic, for the next 3 days.

She had been improving before the antibiotic but we got it to be sure whatever she had we 'cleaned' out of her. Now...she is worse. We can barely get anything out of her. All of this time, she has continued to eat and drink until last evening. She does not have an appetite but continues to drink water. So worried we are going to lose her. She is my 3 1/2 year old granddaughter's baby chick.

All of this started the day after I gave them some millet and a little bit of grit. Bavis was in the middle of the dish and consumed way more than the others that day.

Her tummy areas are tight and large, like they are full with no where to go. Her vent is still swollen and large just behind the opening, like it is all just sitting there...waiting to come out.

What do I do now? Has the tetracycline contributed to the downfall in her situation?

Last edited:
Just to make you feel better, I give chicks millet and grit too, and it doesn't harm them. So it is not that, in my opinion.

Is her crop empty in the morning?

I probably won't be able to help with advice, but since you didn't mention her crop I thought I would ask.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/6631/constipated-chick-with-swollen-vent
Here is a thread where mineral oil was used (it is a laxative).

I am not sure if it is safe to give the mineral oil since she seems to be blocked further down - you should ask your vet first in my opinion. You wouldn't want her to vomit and aspirate.

Last edited:
Being a newbie, I do not know how to check her crop. The link you gave me was exactly what is happening, pictures posted there, to little Bavis!

Thank you for the link! I will try the mineral oil, although we did use olive oil before on both ends, and sugar water, and try and gently pry some out of her. Get her going on her own, hopefully.

Being a newbie, I do not know how to check her crop. The link you gave me was exactly what is happening, pictures posted there, to little Bavis!

Thank you for the link! I will try the mineral oil, although we did use olive oil before on both ends, and sugar water, and try and gently pry some out of her. Get her going on her own, hopefully.
OK the chicken's right side of the chest will have a lump when the crop is full. Kind of a ball-shaped lump on the front of the chest, right side.

You can often see their crops nice and full after they gorge themselves on treats/food. It causes many a new BYC'er to ask what it is.

Here:
http://poultrykeeper.com/digestive-system-problems/the-digestive-system-of-a-chicken

The crop can become impacted (stuff won't move at all), or sour (remains full or slightly full of squishy liquid). Sour crop can be fungal in nature. Impacted crop sometimes requires surgery to remove the crop contents.

If the crop contents are moving on down, then that is good. However, since your chick is so blocked, the crop being full may be an effect and not a cause.

I have so much to learn. I have now found several sites that describe similar issues as Bavis' condition. They call the condition prolapse and from the pics I have seen and the descriptions I have read, that is what her problem is.

I will check her crop when I get home. Poor Bavis will be saying...."HUH? Now what are you doing to me??"

ChicksAreSweet, your resources seem to be endless. Your knowledge base is most appreciated. Thank you so much for the information and the link referrals
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom