Baytril (enrofloxacin) Sources

LL

More info:

Last edited:
Just a disclaimer about antibiotic use, especially if you are not consulting with a vet. There are good reasons for the regulation of antibiotics (Though I definitely don't agree with the prices!). One major reason is that giving antibiotics without knowing exactly what is going on with the animal can contribute to antibiotic resistance of the organisms associated with that animal. The use of antibiotics in farm animals is a major problem in human medicine because many pathogens that affect people are becoming resistant. For a long time, antibiotic use in slaughtered animals went unchecked. Now there are strict regulations and withdrawal times for food animals, and veterinarians work hard to regulate the use of antibiotics so that they are used only in animals that absolutely need them.

As far as I know, baytril is not labeled for use in poultry, so I would not use this in birds that will be food or that lay eggs for human consumption. People who have given baytril to chickens in the past generally keep their eggs from consumption (Some people do this for the life of the bird). Another related issue is that if these antibiotics are used and you have no plans to eat the bird, there is no guarantee that if the bird is sold that the next person will do the same, even if they are told the bird has been treated with antibiotics.

Another issue is that antibiotics can be specific for certain pathogens (I see some listed above) so if a person gives one type of antibiotic without knowing the cause of disease, it may not do anything at all.

If you are advised to give this under direction of a vet, then by all means buy it from a cheaper source such as the ones listed!

Unfortunately that is often true, but there are many vets out there that are familiar with birds. Additionally, your local cooperative extension or state animal diagnostic center can help guide poultry owners when faced with bird illness. They also have many services and tests that can be run for owners, many of which are free depending on the state.

Antibiotic use doesn't seem like a big deal at first, but the statistics on resistance are truly scary. There are lots of resources that can help poultry owners make good health decisions for their birds that also takes into account interconnected human health.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that is often true, but there are many vets out there that are familiar with birds. Additionally, your local cooperative extension or state animal diagnostic center can help guide poultry owners when faced with bird illness. They also have many services and tests that can be run for owners, many of which are free depending on the state.

Antibiotic use doesn't seem like a big deal at first, but the statistics on resistance are truly scary. There are lots of resources that can help poultry owners make good health decisions for their birds that also takes into account interconnected human health.
Most of these "diagnostic centers" will suggest submitting a bird for necropsy, but even then, they probably won't give any medical advice, though they might be able to recommend a vet that could.

Sure, UC Davis can run all sorts of tests for next to nothing, but one has to know how to collect and ship samples properly.

-Kathy

@Chickerdoodle13 , how would you treat a 100 gram chick with a probable E.coli infection?

-Kathy

I dont waste my time with extension offices. If I dont know what it is, I cull.

Culling is definitely the preferred method, but unfortunately many (myself included) don't have the heart to cull every sick bird. Though I've had to do it with a few.

CasportPony,

The reason why many vets won't prescribe or treat over the phone is because it is nearly impossible to diagnose without putting your hands on the animals and potentially taking samples. Too much liability to prescribe over the phone.

E. coli is a perfect example of why it can be important to have a good idea of what you are dealing with. E. coli generally manifests itself as a respiratory disease (Air sacculitis, pneumonia, etc.) or septicemia in birds. It's even more tricky because most animals that carry E. coli (especially ones that can infect humans) are asymptomatic carriers. Additionally, there are an increasing number of antibiotic resistant strains of E. coli, which is bad news for human health because this can cause some pretty serious infections in people (Especially in children - Some variants of E. coli can even cause total kidney failure in children!). However, many strains of E. coli are susceptible to tetracycline, a drug that IS used in food animals (providing one follows the withdrawal times) and this is generally available in Tractor Supply and most feed stores.

My main issue is with using Baytril in food animals or poultry that lays eggs for consumption without knowledge of the specific organism causing the problem.

Back
Top Bottom