BB guns for kids

I was very young when we had BB guns our rules was don't shoot nothing if you not going to eat it if we did shoot something we had to clean it and cook it ..

My kids each got their first gun at the age of 4. This was against my wishes at first, but then I thought that the earlier they knew what it was, the better off they would be. My husband was a Sheriff Deputy, so he taught our son the parts of a gun every day when he got home from work.

From the time my husband got hired as a Deputy, I firmly put my foot down (because our son was only 1 then), and told all family member that NO toy guns (even BB guns) were to be bought for our kids. It's too easy for kids that have real guns and toy guns to forget and point a real gun at someone. Yes, the kids are taught to NEVER point a gun (real or toy) at anything you don't intend to shoot, but accidents and forgetfullness can still happen. My MIL has since bought my son a BB gun, which did NOT go over well. My kids are also no allowed to go hunting with just anyone, including my MIL or her husband or my BIL. I just don't trust them enough to not get my kids shot. Boy did it PO my MIL when we told her that they weren't allowed to hunt with her, but could with my FIL. At least I can trust him to keep his eyes on the kids while they are out.

Quote:
You are the ONLY other person I have ever met that has this same rule! So glad to know that I am not the only one who feels this way.

Teach them to respect it as any other gun, then move them up as they merit it. Get them into a Hunter Safety class ASAP and let them feel some bigger things like a 22, or a smaller shotgun. If they like it, great. If not, you'll know.

Pete

Quote:
No, we're in California, and my son is in the 4H program. We're in a pretty rural county though. I doubt San Francisco has much of a trapshooting program.

I was never allowed a BB gun. Dad said they were too dangereous.
lol.png
I was given a single shot bolt action 22 at the age of 9 - only allowed to target shoot with it while accompanied by either my Dad or brother in law. (I still have this gun.
old.gif
) My next gun at my next birthday was a 4 10 single shot shotgun. I carried this with my Dad or BIL for 3 years before I was allowed to actually hunt. It's all about supervision and teaching gun safety until it becomes an automatic. Some kids might be ready at 9 or 10 - some will never be deserving of owning a gun. Just a fact.

Quote:
It was a 15 year old that brought this
http://americanpigdog.com/images/P/SPXD940306_1.jpg
to school an engaged the cops in the hallway with it.

I assume suicide by cop. The cops did what they had to.

I have that airsoft gun. Cops were called on me one time for playing airsoft in my back yard cause the neighbor though it was a real gun and that I had just shot my brother. I was scared when the cops came that I dropped to the ground and threw it to the side. I didn't want to get shot.

I never had a BB gun.. I remember just jumping right to a .22 .. Shortly following with a .410, .243, and now a .30-30 and 20 GA. My family is pretty big into hunting, and we have a lot of fun with it!

Gotta love the 2nd amendment!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom