BB Turkey with prolapsed vent (fixed) now stopped eating.

beaglemaster

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2021
2 weeks ago I notice one of my jenny's (1 year old) had a mass sticking out of her vent. I separated her from the others and started to treat here for prolapse vent. I did notice that she would strain very hard and the would pop right back out every time that I pushed it in. Finally, I just left it out but made sure that it was kept clean and then treated with honey and fungicide. She also got an epsom salt bath 3 times a day for 4 days. After 4 days she was able to deposit a very hard stool and after she did that, the mass started to correct it self and go back inside the vent. She started to have regular looking stools for a day and was interested in food in small amounts. The next day, she was not interested in any type of food and started to have diarrhea because she had no solids but she was drinking just fine. After a few days, I decided to get some Tylan 200 to make sure she didn't have a bacterial infection. I gave her 2 shots of 2 cc's each. The second shot was 48 hours after the first shot. She still did not improve with no signs of wanting food. I then decided to tube feed her and I am now tube feeding her with 120 cc of food mixed with gater-aid 4 times a day. She is still drinking on her own. After feeding her with the tube, she started to perk up - mainly because she had some nutrition and electrolytes in her system but she is still not showing any signs of wanting in eating on her own. She has very watery diarrhea which is dark brown in color. She is alert and attentive and is very curious about the things that I am doing. For the past two weeks she has been in the basement inside a kiddie pool. There are wood shavings for a floor and she has a heat lamp. She has dry crumble for food if she chooses. I have also tried to give her some spinach greens and grape tomatoes (which she just loves) but she has no interest in either. I have also treated her for coccidiosis. No other flock member is showing any signs like she is having. I also wanted to mention that the morning that I noticed the prolapse vent, she layed an egg. I have checked for being egg bound but she is not. All these problems have been going on for 16 days now. Any advice would be much appreciated.

She is inside but with occasional trips outside with the flock as weather permits. When I do take her outside, I can see the excitement in her. I do plan on taking her out today.

She is inside but with occasional trips outside with the flock as weather permits. When I do take her outside, I can see the excitement in her. I do plan on taking her out today.
I'm thinking if her prolapse issue is fixed, she should be able to go back to her flock now, but just be monitored.

I have not wormed her yet. What should I use to worm her? I have Equimax do I need anything else?
Thanks

I have not wormed her yet. What should I use to worm her? I have Equimax do I need anything else?
Thanks
Equimax is better for tapeworms, but not for other poultry worms. For most poultry worms, I would use either Valbazen 0.08 ml per pound once and again in 10 days, or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound of weight given for 5 consecutive days. How much does she weigh?

Back
Top Bottom