BBS breeding and dilute / white splash

Ok, what should I test breed him to? What would we be looking for?

I have:
Black Australorp
Rhodes Island Red
Barred Rock
SLW
EE (so probably not these..)

For silkies:
Black
Splash

It will be this fall but I'll have more silkies:
Paint
Chocolate
Blue
I'd breed too black. If he's Dun, chocolate, paint, or Splash the offspring will show whatever true color he is.

If he's Sex linked Chocolate, Female offspring will be Chocolate, & males Black.

If he's Splash, he'd make all Blues.

If he's Paint he'd make more Paints, or White birds, I think more blacks are a possibility.

If he's Dun, he'd make Half of the offspring Dun, & the other half black.

I'd breed too black. If he's Dun, chocolate, paint, or Splash the offspring will show whatever true color he is.

If he's Sex linked Chocolate, Female offspring will be Chocolate, & males Black.

If he's Splash, he'd make all Blues.

If he's Paint he'd make more Paints, or White birds, I think more blacks are a possibility.

If he's Dun, he'd make Half of the offspring Dun, & the other half black.
Ok! I'm setting eggs this Friday or Saturday so I'll set some of the brown eggs, the problem is, I can't tell the different between the BA, BR, and RIR eggs, they are all identical colored 😬 hopefully I can catch a BA in the act and set a few!

Ok! I'm setting eggs this Friday or Saturday so I'll set some of the brown eggs, the problem is, I can't tell the different between the BA, BR, and RIR eggs, they are all identical colored 😬 hopefully I can catch a BA in the act and set a few!
Really?
Barred Rocks will work the same as black Australorp, but with the Barring gene, also will create sex linked offspring.

Really?
Barred Rocks will work the same as black Australorp, but with the Barring gene, also will create sex linked offspring.
Yeah, I'm setting silkie eggs and some other breeds from a local breeder to replenish my layer flock this week. I'll be setting eggs again late February, so I can sneak a few eggs from Chonkers coop in both of those hatches.

If I set a few eggs, not knowing if they were Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, or Black Australorp, would I be able to tell what breed they came from based on chick characteristics or would I have to wait for feathers to come in? I can't keep them all, so if I could pick and choose who to grow out and who to sell early on would be best. I'm supposed to be breeding silkies, this would just be an interesting rabbit hole 🤣

Just curious what color are the eggs of the white one?
They are a pale tan, the normal silkie color. The one I know is hers is the 1/20 Sk, w marked egg.
20240121_102353.jpg

Yeah, I'm setting silkie eggs and some other breeds from a local breeder to replenish my layer flock this week. I'll be setting eggs again late February, so I can sneak a few eggs from Chonkers coop in both of those hatches.

If I set a few eggs, not knowing if they were Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, or Black Australorp, would I be able to tell what breed they came from based on chick characteristics or would I have to wait for feathers to come in? I can't keep them all, so if I could pick and choose who to grow out and who to sell early on would be best. I'm supposed to be breeding silkies, this would just be an interesting rabbit hole 🤣
Well, characteristics depends on both parents, & genetics at play. Like if one parent is White, & the other is Black, the chick would be White, or Paint. But it can get tricky sometimes, with other combinations. Like a Red chick feathering out into a Silver Partridge.

These are just examples.

Parent characteristics such as Pea comb, Walnut Comb, & Rose comb are all dominant, & will show up in offspring. Other dominant traits is Crest, Feathered Feet, & Fibromelanosis(This can be sexlinked), are dominant traits.

Well, characteristics depends on both parents, & genetics at play. Like if one parent is White, & the other is Black, the chick would be White, or Paint. But it can get tricky sometimes, with other combinations. Like a Red chick feathering out into a Silver Partridge.

These are just examples.

Parent characteristics such as Pea comb, Walnut Comb, & Rose comb are all dominant, & will show up in offspring. Other dominant traits is Crest, Feathered Feet, & Fibromelanosis(This can be sexlinked), are dominant traits.
Gotcha, so not knowing who the hen was, I'll have to wait and see what color feathers start growing in, and even then it might still be a guess. I'll see how many open spots I have in the incubator and I might throw a few eggs from that coop in for fun. 😁

For that rooster, with hens that are Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, and Black Australorp:

I'm not sure what you will get from the Rhode Island Red. They have mostly recessive genes, so the chicks will mostly show whatever they get from their father. If you get any chicks that are red or gold in color, or have chipmunk stripes, they will definitely be from the Rhode Island Reds, not from Black Australorp or Barred Rock mothers. (But some chicks from the RIR mothers may show the same colors as chicks from any other mothers, depending on what that rooster has genetically.)

For the Barred Rocks: sons will have the gene for white barring, daughters will not. On black chicks, this shows up as a light dot on the head of males but not females. It also shows up as they start growing feathers, within the first few days & weeks. For any chicks that inherit a gene that makes black into something lighter, the dot will not be as obvious, and you might or might not be able to see it (this applies to blue/splash, paint, chocolate, khaki/dun, and so forth.)

So any black chicks with a light dot on their head must be sons of Barred Rock hens. You could sell them early on, knowing they are males.

Black Australorp chicks, both male and female, will have the same set of coloring options as daughters of the Barred Rocks. The chicks should be black (genetically speaking), with the black then maybe being affected by whatever the male has (paint, chocolate, or whatever is going on.)

If it were me trying to test that rooster, I would probably count the chicks of each color, then sell any that show:
--coloring like a normal Barred Rock chick (black with yellow underneath, and yellow dot on head). These are males, so be careful that the buyer knows that.
--any red/gold/chipmunk colored chicks (these have the Rhode Island Red mother)
--if there are still too many chicks, any that look like normal Black chicks (black on top with yellow underneath, a bit like a penguin).

At that point, the remaining chicks could still have any of the mothers, but will mostly be the ones that are interesting for figuring out what the male has.

If the various eggs look somewhat different, even if you don't know which hen lays which eggs, you could have them hatch in mesh bags or little baskets, and then mark the chicks according to which group they came from. After they hatch, you might be able to spot which mother produced some of the chicks in a group, and that could tell you the mother of that whole group. But if they all lay eggs that look fairly similar, then obviously this idea won't do any good.

For that rooster, with hens that are Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, and Black Australorp:

I'm not sure what you will get from the Rhode Island Red. They have mostly recessive genes, so the chicks will mostly show whatever they get from their father. If you get any chicks that are red or gold in color, or have chipmunk stripes, they will definitely be from the Rhode Island Reds, not from Black Australorp or Barred Rock mothers. (But some chicks from the RIR mothers may show the same colors as chicks from any other mothers, depending on what that rooster has genetically.)

For the Barred Rocks: sons will have the gene for white barring, daughters will not. On black chicks, this shows up as a light dot on the head of males but not females. It also shows up as they start growing feathers, within the first few days & weeks. For any chicks that inherit a gene that makes black into something lighter, the dot will not be as obvious, and you might or might not be able to see it (this applies to blue/splash, paint, chocolate, khaki/dun, and so forth.)

So any black chicks with a light dot on their head must be sons of Barred Rock hens. You could sell them early on, knowing they are males.

Black Australorp chicks, both male and female, will have the same set of coloring options as daughters of the Barred Rocks. The chicks should be black (genetically speaking), with the black then maybe being affected by whatever the male has (paint, chocolate, or whatever is going on.)

If it were me trying to test that rooster, I would probably count the chicks of each color, then sell any that show:
--coloring like a normal Barred Rock chick (black with yellow underneath, and yellow dot on head). These are males, so be careful that the buyer knows that.
--any red/gold/chipmunk colored chicks (these have the Rhode Island Red mother)
--if there are still too many chicks, any that look like normal Black chicks (black on top with yellow underneath, a bit like a penguin).

At that point, the remaining chicks could still have any of the mothers, but will mostly be the ones that are interesting for figuring out what the male has.

If the various eggs look somewhat different, even if you don't know which hen lays which eggs, you could have them hatch in mesh bags or little baskets, and then mark the chicks according to which group they came from. After they hatch, you might be able to spot which mother produced some of the chicks in a group, and that could tell you the mother of that whole group. But if they all lay eggs that look fairly similar, then obviously this idea won't do any good.
I've added all the info, details, and tidbits into my Excel spreadsheet I've created to track my hatches, genetics, who's who in my flock, age, comments etc about each bird 😃 I now have a Chonkers section with his possible genetic make up, what the crosses with each layer breed will produce, and what the chicks may look like, this is amazing!

Some of the eggs are completely identical but sometime do have speckling or a different shell texture or slight color variation, I can group them based on my best guesses as to being laid by the same hen even if I don't know what breed it was, excellent idea, thank you! I've already made dividers for the incubator so I can mark, and place those eggs, together and I have 2 sizes of the stretchy chick legbands too so I can tag them as I vaccinate and move them to the brooder.

I'm not sure how easily I could sell known cockerels, but I might be able to find homes for a few, they should be cute especially if they have cheeks and beards.

This is going to be fun!

I now have visions of a chocolate EE... I'm feeling like I know just enough on the chocolate genetics to be dangerous and likely wrong, but excited while doing it 🤣 ok, so if I crossed a chocolate silkie rooster over a purebred black Ameraucana hen, I would get chocolate EE daughters and black EE sons. How close am I? :fl

Back
Top Bottom