Mar 29, 2021
I've got two chickens in the BC heat wave right now, it's supposed to get between 46C to 48 C in the next couple days, (114 F to 118 F ). I've got three waterers out that are regularly changed throughout the day to keep cool, and one of them is a pan shallow enough to walk through. There's always shade somewhere in the yard and they follow it, and drink tons of water. Today was the first day that my silkie got into the pan on her own and it was 44 C.(111 F) will they be able to survive the intense heat? They hate it when I mist them and get scared Of me. Should I try bringing them inside if it gets that hot? How would I do that? I can't just let them run around. Would it kill them to put them back out after they are cooled at night?

I've got two chickens in the BC heat wave right now, it's supposed to get between 46C to 48 C in the next couple days, (114 F to 118 F ). I've got three waterers out that are regularly changed throughout the day to keep cool, and one of them is a pan shallow enough to walk through. There's always shade somewhere in the yard and they follow it, and drink tons of water. Today was the first day that my silkie got into the pan on her own and it was 44 C.(111 F) will they be able to survive the intense heat? They hate it when I mist them and get scared Of me. Should I try bringing them inside if it gets that hot? How would I do that? I can't just let them run around. Would it kill them to put them back out after they are cooled at night?
I would buy a kitty pool and fill it up on the hot days and throw ice in it every time it starts to cool down make sure they have lots of shade and what I did when I was very desperate to keep my chickens cool is get an extension cord and actually plug in a fan in the coop

Back
Top Bottom