BC Maran gender & rear mohawk?

Spoof

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Carencro, LA
These guys were hatched 5/5/11, so just under 8 weeks. My first run at having chickens, I went up for four GL cochins and came back with three of these guys too.

Spent all day oogling over everyone's BCM photos. Nobody has one with a mohawk in the rear. What's up with this guy/gal? Will the feathers lay flat with age? Is it the sign of a roo? The one of me holding it is from last week, rest are from tonight and it looks like a walking wedge of cheese.

The three have almost no coloring and I'd like to separate and give the boys away before they start agitating the neighbors.

BCMRoach.jpg

BCM3.jpg

BCM2.jpg

BCM1.jpg

CMBacks.jpg

Yours are the same age as my four! Mine hatched May 4. You are so lucky - those are four pullets!

I got 3 roos and 1 pullet. My 3 roo have big red combs - no missing the difference.

That swirl of feathers sticking up is not a sign of a roo - anyway it has a pullet's comb. Its just a cowlick? I have a BBS Ameraucana with back feathers sticking up too like that.

I'm waiting for mine to get beautiful too. Sigh. I know it will take another 3 or 4 weeks till they do.

Color is just starting to come in on the boys.

They all look like girls.

The feathers sticking up in the back may be sort of a cowlick type thing where the feathers just dont lay right. She may or may not grow out of it when she goes through juvenile molt. At any rate, you just have a special chicken
smile.png
It's not going to make a bit of difference in the eggs she lays--they are going to taste just as delicious.

I should have prefaced with--they do have very red faces but that could just be the climate.

Thank you! I was wondering if I'd come out next week and find a gigantic comb or two suddenly sprouted.

I should have prefaced with--they do have very red faces but that could just be the climate.

You are probably right, been in the 100's in the shade with the heat index and most of the time they are panting. I've been throwing ice out when I get home and they love to scratch and lay on it.

Am anxiously awaiting eggs, though was warned the Cochins may take up to eight months to get it in gear.

Six out of seven hens is awesome but I only built the coop for four. Go figure! Here's a picture of the one obvious roo. Looks I'll be planning a coop extension sooner than later. Granted if I just bit the bullet and built a second one it would make room for someone to have a set of chicks...
roll.png
Seven weeks into chicken ownership and I'm already doomed!
CochinRoo.jpg

Last edited:
Yay for chicken math!

(You have room for 4 chickens
You went to the store for 4 chickens
You came back with... a lot of chickens.
But they don't count because they weren't the ones you were intending on buying xD)
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom