BCM Hen or Roo?

Well, I didn't order any Wheaten Marans, but I suppose it's possible they made a mistake and ended up with one in the mix. I'm not super concerned, as I only want them for their eggs and not for show or breeding for selling chicks and such. But aren't wheaten marans light colored at hatch? These were all feather footed black chicks when they arrived, with not many differences in their markings at the time. It was only about at two weeks old that I noticed the copper coloring coming into this one's feathers, and I started to think the early coloring meant it was a roo. Honestly, I don't think I would have too much preference either way, because it's a pretty bird no matter it's sex or faulty markings. As far as feathering in faster, this one does seem to have less tail feathers still, like the confirmed roos do, which is another reason I was suspecting roo. I'll update my pictures next week and see how the feathering and combs are progressing.
When I got my wheatens they were 2 weeks old... apparently by then the hens are light and the roos are dark, so the guy I got them from knew he was giving me 2 roos, which made me angry later when I found out. I don't know if they are different colors at hatch though.

Since I posted him for comparison in my first pictures, here is the definite rooster. He is the biggest chick in the flock, and my favorite. In addition to the comb he sprouted at 12 days old, he's now got some copper coming in on his neck, the top of his head, and a little bit in his back.

The other BCM's are still black, and I haven't noticed any copper coming in, so I think they are all pullets. The mossy one, however, I'm still unsure of. But due to the lack of comb development, and the evenly spread coloring, I'm guessing it's a pullet also.

The mossy chick looks like a pullet for now, but they can change a lot from 6 weeks to 8 weeks. That's when sub-adult feathering starts coming in and you can see what they will end up looking like.

Last edited:
Thanks. So their feathering still may change a lot, but what about the development of the comb and wattles? Is it common for a rooster to be this far behind another in that development?

When a rooster develops in the comb can vary greatly even in hatch mates. Sometimes you get one that is really obvious, really early on. Some don't start turning red until after 6 weeks. Any chick that gets a big, red comb before 10 weeks old is a cockerel. Pullets don't really start developing in the combs and turning red until around 14 to 18 weeks.

Update: Hey all, I just wanted to post another update on my mossy pullet, whom I named Mossy :)
Here are some new pics of her, she's now over 14 weeks old. As she's grown it seems the mossiness has toned down quite a bit, blending more into the black of her feathers. I wonder if she'll lose more of that mossy edge every time she molts, it's interesting how much she has changed over the past 8 weeks.

Update: Hey all, I just wanted to post another update on my mossy pullet, whom I named Mossy :) Here are some new pics of her, she's now over 14 weeks old. As she's grown it seems the mossiness has toned down quite a bit, blending more into the black of her feathers. I wonder if she'll lose more of that mossy edge every time she molts, it's interesting how much she has changed over the past 8 weeks. She is gorgeous! :drool

Back
Top Bottom