BCM or blue copper marans rooster cross Wheaton marans hens

honorkt

Chirping
Mar 21, 2022
i have 2x rooster black copper and blue copper marans.. i would like to cross one of them to my Wheaton marans hens.. which is best for breeding and not molting my chicks

and would one of them will get me wheaton marans??

thank you

i have 2x rooster black copper and blue copper marans.. i would like to cross one of them to my Wheaton marans hens....would one of them will get me wheaton marans??
No, you will not get wheaten marans from either of those crosses.

which is best for breeding and not molting my chicks
I think Black Copper and Blue Copper would be equally good for breeding.
If one is better than the other, it will be individual differences, not breed differences.

The Blue Copper will produce some chicks that show blue and some that show black.
The Black Copper will only produce chicks that show black.
(From both roosters, all offspring will have some amount of copper or gold color as well.)

No, you will not get wheaten marans from either of those crosses.

I think Black Copper and Blue Copper would be equally good for breeding.
If one is better than the other, it will be individual differences, not breed differences.

The Blue Copper will produce some chicks that show blue and some that show black.
The Black Copper will only produce chicks that show black.
(From both roosters, all offspring will have some amount of copper or gold color as well.)
so there anyway to get wheaten chicks from wheaten marans hens cross any marans color? beside wheatn marans rooster....

so there anyway to get wheaten chicks from wheaten marans hens cross any marans color? beside wheatn marans rooster....
Wheaten crossed to any other true-breeding color will give mixes, no Wheatens. Blue Wheaten and Splash Wheaten can be interbred with Wheaten just fine, because the only difference is whether they have the blue gene or not.

You could cross the Wheaten hen to the Black Copper or Blue Copper rooster, then take a son and breed him back to his mother the Wheaten hen. That cross should give some Wheaten chicks and some mixed chicks, about equal numbers of each. The Wheaten chicks will probably be recognizable at hatch, because of having a different color down (light yellow/gold/brown, rather than a bunch of black in the down.) Sorting them at hatch would make it easy to sell/rehome/cull the non-Wheaten chicks in that generation.

Wheaten crossed to any other true-breeding color will give mixes, no Wheatens. Blue Wheaten and Splash Wheaten can be interbred with Wheaten just fine, because the only difference is whether they have the blue gene or not.

You could cross the Wheaten hen to the Black Copper or Blue Copper rooster, then take a son and breed him back to his mother the Wheaten hen. That cross should give some Wheaten chicks and some mixed chicks, about equal numbers of each. The Wheaten chicks will probably be recognizable at hatch, because of having a different color down (light yellow/gold/brown, rather than a bunch of black in the down.) Sorting them at hatch would make it easy to sell/rehome/cull the non-Wheaten chicks in that generation.
that is helpfull.. im considering to do that i dont mind to get blue wheaten marans... frankly i like wheaten color,

that is helpfull.. im considering to do that i dont mind to get blue wheaten marans... frankly i like wheaten color,
If you breed Blue Wheaten with normal Wheaten, about half of chicks will be Blue Wheaten and the other half will be normal Wheaten.

Back
Top Bottom