BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

Pics
Pearl tried all day to get to the nestboxes (she managed 2x) and disturbed the broodies. After that I blocked the entrance properly to give the 2 broodies a little peace.

I took another look half an hour ago, to see if there was a second chick pipping. Kraai got angry when she saw the chick. She didnt just give the chick a peck but grabbed her with her beak to hurt her. The poor chick.

I took Kraai out and put her on the roost with the other hens. Her mothers days are over. 😢

Pearl tried all day to get to the nestboxes (she managed 2x) and disturbed the broodies. After that I blocked the entrance properly to give the 2 broodies a little peace.

I took another look half an hour ago, to see if there was a second chick pipping. Kraai got angry when she saw the chick. She didnt just give the chick a peck but grabbed her with her beak to hurt her. The poor chick.

I took Kraai out and put her on the roost with the other hens. Her mothers days are over. 😢
Maybe the fact there was only one chick for two broodies made her turn jealous and go against the chick ? So sorry it turned out like this 🙁.
Now I suppose it's for the best to move Katrientje as soon as possible.
You had a good intuition to check just in time to see Kraai doing that !

My friend took this photo after lifting Katrientje:
IMG_4203.jpeg

It seems Katrientje doesn’t leave the nest. I don’t expect any eggs to hatch anymore.
What are the best steps to take and should I take the eggs away first or move her with the eggs to the tiny coop?

My friend took this photo after lifting Katrientje:
View attachment 3787228
It seems Katrientje doesn’t leave the nest. I don’t expect any eggs to hatch anymore.
What are the best steps to take and should I take the eggs away first or move her with the eggs to the tiny coop?

If no eggs are trying to pip, or are viable, I'd remove the eggs. If mum doesn't budge after a few hours, I'd place her and the chick out of the nest, and close access to it

If no eggs are trying to pip, or are viable, I'd remove the eggs. If mum doesn't budge after a few hours, I'd place her and the chick out of the nest, and close access to it
Thanks. I will follow your advice tomorrow.

I took away one egg and opened it this afternoon. It had no embryo, almost like a fresh egg.

I took away the eggs. They were not fertilised /had no chicks inside.

MDH and I moved 2 eggs, Katrientje and the chick to the mini coop/ large nestbox in the second run.

But Katrientje panicked and tried to go back to her old nestbox. The chick came out of the mini coop and started to peep for mama. We waited for 5 minutes but Katrientje didnt respond to the chick.

It was a failure. We brought mother and chick back to her old nestbox in the small coop.

IMG_4207.jpeg

I made the photo when Katrientje went downstairs to poop and drink. The opening to the stairs/plank with ledges is blocked a little to prevent the chick from falling out. Katrientje went back after a few minutes.

Im installing a easier plank and wil open up the entrance tomorrow. Other chicks went downstairs at day 5 and could go up again too. And blocking the entrance wont work anymore if the chick starts to jump.

I took away the eggs. They were not fertilised /had no chicks inside.

MDH and I moved 2 eggs, Katrientje and the chick to the mini coop/ large nestbox in the second run.

But Katrientje panicked and tried to go back to her old nestbox. The chick came out of the mini coop and started to peep for mama. We waited for 5 minutes but Katrientje didnt respond to the chick.

It was a failure. We brought mother and chick back to her old nestbox in the small coop.

View attachment 3788201
I made the photo when Katrientje went downstairs to poop and drink. The opening to the stairs/plank with ledges is blocked a little to prevent the chick from falling out. Katrientje went back after a few minutes.

Im installing a easier plank and wil open up the entrance tomorrow. Other chicks went downstairs at day 5 and could go up again too. And blocking the entrance wont work anymore if the chick starts to jump.
Well, it seems Katrientje has decided for you!
Sometimes...well, often actually, things don't go as planned with chickens. But I didn't think it could happen that she would refuse to move !
I hope things will be easier from now on.

About an hour after we moved Katrientje and the chick back to her old nest , she was truly calm again.

The chick came out to eat (wet chick crum) a couple of times. I could see it got more messy around the bowl with the crum.

I did make a few changes to make it easier for the chick to go back up, if she/he decides to leave the first floor tomorrow.

IMG_4216.jpeg
Today I cleaned the towel in the ‘living room’ , and supplied fresh chick food and water.

After 2 hours I went back to check and it felt like my chickens were having a baby shower.
Pearl was nursing the chick in the nestbox and Ini mini was in the small covered run that is part of the prefab coop. 😳 How could I have missed that?

Ini mini was glad to go out free ranging, but Pearl definitely didn’t want to leave the party! 🎉

I think she’s a better mother than Katrientje and I left them both in the doubled size nestbox.

I named the chick Tintin (because if its a girl she will have a crest head like Tintin.
IMG_4212.jpeg

Tintin seems to prefer to sneak under Pearl.

Back
Top Bottom