beach sand dirt bath

coturnixxx8

In the Brooder
May 23, 2018
Hi,
Is it safe to give coturnix quails beach sand for their dirt bath? I plan to put a little diatomaceous earth to kill of any bugs. Should I bake the sand first in the oven?

That's what I do, too. At my HD, near the cement there is a coarse sand meant for concrete and a finer sand called "play sand." The play sand is finer and drier, so I get that.
exactly what I use, do you put it in something that contained it, if not its all over the ground within a half hour!! I think I may build a open top box with a small opening the keep it in as long as possible!

exactly what I use, do you put it in something that contained it, if not its all over the ground within a half hour!! I think I may build a open top box with a small opening the keep it in as long as possible!
I just use a large plastic container from the dollar store. The sides are about 2 inches tall. I put a couple of cups of sand in there and they jump right in. It takes about two days for them to empty it.

They lay most of their eggs in there. They also poop in it, so I'm okay with adding more sand every couple of days and giving it a thorough cleaning about once a week.

My pens are wire bottom with litter trays, so I actually like that they spill all the sand out into the litter trays. It helps to keep things dry in the trays, is easier for me to scrape out, and goes right into the compost with the droppings.

Back
Top Bottom