Beak Deformity question!

I see on those threads people are talking about filing but if you at the shape of her beak I don't think thats going to work. I guess I have to wait it out and see

I just thought of something. Ok so say it gets worse and she has trouble drinking out of my water things. Do you thing a chicken nipple waterer might be easier for her to drink out of?

I am not sure.
I would think a deep dish would be better.
And wet feed in a deep dish too.

I agree with feeding wet feed from a deep bowl. I have never treated a chicken with a beak problem, but the Chciken Chick article and others posted here can help you. If her beak gets too long to close properly, it may help to follow the filing or just barely clipping the upper tip with dog nail clippers. Also keep posting for help on this thread or start a new one if you are getting the right advice. Good luck to you pr cute little chick.

You don't buy wet feed you make it.
Simple soak some of your regular feed in water to make a mash like oatmeal consistancy feed.
Ooooh ok thats great to know thanks! im sorry guys but im not grasping the suggestion of filing her beak. I know thats a very common thing for beak deformities but her bottom beak is as straight as a board and severely arched so if I file the top it still will be just as bad of a gap, right? Sorry if what im saying is dumb bc im probably wrong. I probably don't make sense of what I just said because I've never dealt with this before. If y'all can just help me understand that would be great! Sorry for my dumbness

Of course I can't get the full benefit of seeing the beak from just a two dimensional photo, but it appears this chicken's beak is a minor issue, easily dealt with.

Most chickens' beaks grow very slowly and eating and honing keeps them trimmed. But some beaks are faster growing and need trimming. You can do it with a nail clipper, but it's dangerous if the chicken makes a sudden move, you can end up cutting back farther than you intended. Beaks bleed as badly as combs do when injured.

I now use a small Dremmel grinding head and grind the upper beak point back just to where the quick is starting to be exposed. From what I see, you can do this safely and the result would be a beak that is more functional.

However, beaks that have been trimmed grow back pretty quickly, so you need to watch it and be prepared to trim it regularly. After a while you both will get used to the procedure, but you may want to have a helper hold the patient for the first couple times.

Thanks everyone for y'alls advice. ill have to look into trimming her beak. It will be difficult though I know bc she never ever sits still. even if im holding her to where she can't move her body, she will be moving her head and looking all around. ill keep y'all updated. thanks again

Back
Top Bottom