Beak trimmed too much?

SnowInBuffalo

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 27, 2015
My stepsister bought 9 chickens all with an extremely short beak. The fox killed 8 so I got the remaining chicken to put with my 3 pet chickens.
This chicken loves corn but is unable to eat it off the cob after I cooked it. All my chickens eat corn off the cob. I also gave them cucumber another item they live eating.
I think the beak has been butchered on this poor girl. Can anyone tell me how long it’s going to be before she has her beak back and her wings.

Attachments

• 5738DDA0-2B2E-4A5D-95F2-D371DE71C206.jpeg
    5738DDA0-2B2E-4A5D-95F2-D371DE71C206.jpeg
    500.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 9A73145D-02F7-4962-A632-FD0B2837C269.jpeg
    9A73145D-02F7-4962-A632-FD0B2837C269.jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 6
Commercial producers do that to beaks, so the chickens cannot injure each other by pecking. They only want to do it once per chicken, so they try to make sure it cannot grow back within the normal life of a commercial laying hen.

It may still grow back as she gets older, but it may not.

If she has trimmed feathers on her wings, they will fall out and regrow normally the next time she molts (probably in the fall.)

No a purchased bird where the guy trimmed the beaks so far bavk the girl can barley eat
She will have trouble picking up little pieces from the ground, because the ends of the beak do not line up, but she should be able to eat just fine if you have a fairly deep feeder. That way she can stick her beak in far enough to grab food with the sections of beak that do line up.

My stepsister bought 9 chickens all with an extremely short beak. The fox killed 8 so I got the remaining chicken to put with my 3 pet chickens.
This chicken loves corn but is unable to eat it off the cob after I cooked it. All my chickens eat corn off the cob. I also gave them cucumber another item they live eating.
I think the beak has been butchered on this poor girl. Can anyone tell me how long it’s going to be before she has her beak back and her wings.
You should read this first.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1166494/

You can reshape a chickens beak but it has to be done very carefully, a little at a time.
Beaks can and do grow back but it's a very slow process.
Looking at the pictures of your hen I would suggest feeding a mash (chicken crumble with enough water added to make a paste)

If debeaked by an individual owner, the beak may regrow. Generally hatcheries debeak/cauterize at the same time so that the beaks do not regrow. Generally these birds are able to eat well enough for survival.

Back
Top Bottom