elc0711

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
Hello đź‘‹
Can anyone give some advice for trimming beaks? I've had chickens for years, but this is the first time I've ever had one with a bit of an underbite. She seems to get along fine, I just don't want it to become advanced to where it affects her well being. TIA!

Attachments

• 20200518_175021.jpg
    20200518_175021.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 18
Beak trimming is not a good time but unfortunately necessary sometimes. Can you see the quick inside the beak at all? Regardless, I just take a small thing of animal nail trimmers (the ones for used for humans tend to shatter or crack the nail in my experience) and just pinch the sides of her beak enough that’s she opens her mouth and trim in small increments so as not to nick the quick which will make it bleed a bit. If it does bleed however I’ve seen people use either styptic powder or corn starch to staunch the bleeding. Best of Luck!! :D

Beak trimming is not a good time but unfortunately necessary sometimes. Can you see the quick inside the beak at all? Regardless, I just take a small thing of animal nail trimmers (the ones for used for humans tend to shatter or crack the nail in my experience) and just pinch the sides of her beak enough that’s she opens her mouth and trim in small increments so as not to nick the quick which will make it bleed a bit. If it does bleed however I’ve seen people use either styptic powder or corn starch to staunch the bleeding. Best of Luck!! :D
I'm really not sure - does it look similar to the quick of a dog or cat nail? I've seen this type of thing happen, but never personally experienced it.

Is there a best way to hold them? Is it easier if it's a two person job?
It really depends on you and your bird I prefer to do it alone. You sit down, hold the bird with your knees, get your left hand to hold its head and file the beak with your right hand. Or you can do it with two people, one person holds the bird, one person files its beak.

It really depends on you and your bird I prefer to do it alone. You sit down, hold the bird with your knees, get your left hand to hold its head and file the beak with your right hand. Or you can do it with two people, one person holds the bird, one person files its beak.
Thanks for the advice! I'll try to get my hands on a file and give it a try.

Is there a best way to hold them? Is it easier if it's a two person job?
We had the same problem. Our Ameraucana's bottom beak grew too long and she could not close her beak. It was causing problems w eating. We brought her into the house and wrapped her in a towel. My wife sat in a chair and held her while I used a dremel with a sanding drum. It was quick. You could use a nail file as well. There are different grits.

Back
Top Bottom