Bear attack!

Here just a few weeks ago in Alaska a lady was having a birthday party for her son had cupcakes setting on table they were waiting for the guests to arrive they heard a noise look up an a black bear fell through the sky light the lady was able to grab her son an make to a bed room , this was in the capital in side city limits, just saying they will enter homes

I just had this very thing happen to me today. I had four ducks. I lost three to botulism and today the fourth either was eaten or scared off. I'm in canada and phoned dept of natural resources. They basically wait until bear either moves off or becomes a nuisance and then live trap it. Uh? What constitutes a nuisance exactly. :/ gah my poor ducks.

Holy picnic basket Batman. I am now happy in the fact that the worst predator I have to deal with is raccoons.

There has been 21 fatal Black Bear attacks in North America since 2000. Despite what the cute and furry crowd claims the vast majority of these attacks were predatory in nature and they were committed by male bears, not sows with cubs. Good luck with that laying down and playing dead or possum thing during a Black Bear attack because the bear, he aint a playing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America
21 attacks over 15 years in a country of 350 million people.

That means you're roughly 65 times more likely to be killed by bees.

130 people A YEAR are killed by white tailed dear in the USA.

Yes, encounters with Bears can be dangerous, but stop trying to scare people.

There are definite differences between a brown or grizzly bear attack and a black bear attack. My intent is to teach and educate the public about black bears and to remind them that a black bear is nothing like a grizzly bear at least not what is going on between the bear's ears. A lot of the things shown on TV are designed to sell deodorant or Japanese automobiles and the people footing the bill are unwilling to see their products associated with human predation and death, it just 'ain't' good for business if you know what I mean. If you still don't get it then study the ages, and sex of fatal black bear attack victims then compare the circumstances, the ages and sex to fatal Brown, Kodiak, or inland Grizzly bear attack victims and very quickly a definite and disturbing pattern emerges.

However most of the bear information the average person gets is on how to survive a grizzly bear attack. That will do the average hiker, homeowner, gardener, golfer, or camper little good and perhaps great personal harm in black bear country especially since to my knowledge only a hand full of people keep back yard chickens in Grizzly country.

Some of the responses to this post are ridiculous. People will find any excuse to shoot something, huh? I moved to the woods to appreciate nature, and I think all the creatures, predators or not, are supposed to be there. We moved into their territory, and they are only trying to survive. By owning chickens, I am choosing to place an unnatural to the area, delicious food source in my backyard for my own enjoyment, so I shouldn't be surprised if a predator wants to eat them. Would I be upset? Of course, but I wouldn't call the animal a nuisance or a problem animal for trying to survive and do what it does naturally. Black bears, in most cases, are way more scared of humans, the bears in my area get chased up trees by little yappy dogs all the time. I'm not saying you should go out and feed them and cuddle them, but to shoot an animal with the claim that everyone is better off with the bear dead is completely wrong. This is the exact reasoning that leads humans to destroy our planet and dessimate everything in our path. I think we humans need a few more good deadly viruses to wipe us out and keep our population in check. ;)

My black bear hung around for about two weeks or so and then disappeared. I do have neighbors that like to hunt, so I am hoping he did not fall prey to them. When he was around, we confronted one another several times and it shocked both of us so much that we would look at one another and take off in opposite directions. I was never once pursued by this bear and I believe their true nature is to run away as long as they can safely flee. He was so comfortable lying under a tree in my woods.

Back
Top Bottom