bear problems

mybabychickens

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2024
I swear my quails cannot catch a break; I woke up this morning to find my coop torn to shreds. 2 of my quails did survive they were smart enough to run into the bottom of the coop. my coop has 2 levels. the top level is where the food, water, and bedding are. then there's a ramp to the bottom which is grass and dirt and plenty of room for them to play. This bear ripped the doors off its hinges. left huge holes in the walls. now this is a heavy-duty coop. my dad built it with very thick pieces of wood. the doors have multiple layers of chicken wire and other metal wires. It has a metal roof, I shut them in the top every night. these predators don't like to finish the job, though. They always leave me with a couple traumatized birds. After these incidents, my girls do not lay for a while. my survivors are currently living in my guest bathroom. I've heard this bear a couple times in my yard, and he's big. I can hear him stomping through my yard at night. usually my solar powered motion lights do the trick at scaring him away. But we did not get a lot of sun yesterday, so my motion lights didn't turn on.

In seriousness, electric fencing is what I used in Alaska to keep bear away. I'd have no farm animals in Alaska without electric wire fencing. Not sure where you are and I'm sorry for your loss, but hot wire and barking dogs are the best way to keep bears out. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom